A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:41 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Knight
Dear all,
I am new to the forums and to Dragon Warriors (although I bought all of the books a few years back, only now I am able to run a campaign; don't ask...)
So I'll be starting with the scenario in the core book (The Darkness Before Dawn) but I am having trouble deciding where the PCs actually start from. Are there any resources out there which suggest a possible starting point, castle, city etc.? Where on the map would this be? Possible NPCs?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:47 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Dear all,
I am new to the forums and to Dragon Warriors (although I bought all of the books a few years back, only now I am able to run a campaign; don't ask...)
So I'll be starting with the scenario in the core book (The Darkness Before Dawn) but I am having trouble deciding where the PCs actually start from. Are there any resources out there which suggest a possible starting point, castle, city etc.? Where on the map would this be? Possible NPCs?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:33 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
DbD is set in Baron Aldreds lands. I don't have my books w me at the moment but if you have a look at the KUtF map in Sleeping Gods you should be able to orientate yourself by matching towns and landmarks.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:58 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
I'd base that on the PC's background - gather the players and spend some time hashing out a little back story that details how this group came to be travelling together. From that you'll probably come up with a few notes on where the PC's come from. While not important for the adventure at hand, if the group survives you can then start adding a bit more detail to their history, and gradually build up a more complete picture of their life before the campaign.

Don't be afraid to make things up or generalise if you don't have exact names of places or people to hand - it's OK for a player to say that their Knight character is the younger son of a lord in a neighbouring county some 5 days ride from here, and then figure out the details (name of county, name of father, reasons for leaving) later on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rabindranath72 wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

Hi Antonio,

I'm uploading a map here that I recently created for my own game - it's based on the Western Land's of Aldred's Fief map, but I've added Maiden's Vale to it, based on my judgement from the text as to where it should be.

I'd probably have the characters coming in from the west along the road that runs through Maiden's Vale and then Ashmore. To the best of my knowledge, there's been no formal development of that region, so people are completely free to design what they want. That part of Albion abuts Cornumbria, and seems unlikely to contain any large cities but a village with a Manor House, or even a town with a small castle would fit without issues.

Attachments:
Western Lands of Baron Aldred's Fief800.PNG
Western Lands of Baron Aldred's Fief800.PNG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 4997 times ]

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:01 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Dreadnought wrote:
I'm uploading a map here that I recently created for my own game - it's based on the Western Land's of Aldred's Fief map, but I've added Maiden's Vale to it, based on my judgement from the text as to where it should be.

I'd probably have the characters coming in from the west along the road that runs through Maiden's Vale and then Ashmore. To the best of my knowledge, there's been no formal development of that region, so people are completely free to design what they want. That part of Albion abuts Cornumbria, and seems unlikely to contain any large cities but a village with a Manor House, or even a town with a small castle would fit without issues.

I like the map :).

Without giving too much away, expect an adventure from Dave Morris to feature a ramshackle village on the far side of the Coronach Marsh in a disputed territory between Albion and Cornumbria to appear soon. I've not done a regional map of the area as part of what I'm putting together (it's not required for the adventure), but I'll probably make something available in the Cobwebbed Forest in due course that pushes the western edge of the canon maps of northern Albion. Even in the few words David uses to describe the impoverished Fief of Tarrowden in the adventure, it conveys the impression of an unwanted place tinged with horror, desperation and faded history, ripe for a community of souls like ourselves to bring colour, depth and adventure to it :).

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
I like the map :).

Thank you. It is being used in a campaign I've just recently started where I am taking a group relatively new to Dragon Warriors (including some long term players of other games) through Sleeping Gods (we've also done A Weak Pleasure and one of the adventures from In From the Cold as 'flashbacks' during sessions where not enough players turned up). I may also include The Elven Crystal and Prince of Darkness eventually in an epic campaign - and perhaps even another adventure I will hopefully discuss here later.

https://life-and-death-are-only-a-dice-roll-away.obsidianportal.com/ will take you to its Obsidian Portal page which includes adventure logs (note - some of my players have an interesting style, and the antics of the assassin in particular may make the logs less than entirely suitable for children - could it be the influence of Game of Thrones on modern fantasy :) ) When I have time I will be adding more details about the players, etc to the OP page.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Without giving too much away, expect an adventure from Dave Morris to feature a ramshackle village on the far side of the Coronach Marsh in a disputed territory between Albion and Cornumbria to appear soon. I've not done a regional map of the area as part of what I'm putting together (it's not required for the adventure), but I'll probably make something available in the Cobwebbed Forest in due course that pushes the western edge of the canon maps of northern Albion. Even in the few words David uses to describe the impoverished Fief of Tarrowden in the adventure, it conveys the impression of an unwanted place tinged with horror, desperation and faded history, ripe for a community of souls like ourselves to bring colour, depth and adventure to it :).

Looking forward to it. Really looking forward to it.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide