Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Just thoughts. I'd imagine a low reflex character is probably overweight and therefore unable to climb ropes and ladders, or someone with a physical disability. But how does one roleplay the psychic talent high or low character? I might guess a high talent individual might have more empathy, but thats hard to say.

Thoughts?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:29 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Thane
I think it's a little more esoteric than just empathy - though that's not a bad thought.

For mine, characters with high psychic talent just have a natural sense of magic and strangeness. They innately sense when something magical is afoot. They understand whether a creature is magical or more prosaic. They are not taken in by shows of trickery trying to pass itself off as magic.

For a character with low psychic talent, I think you could go one of two ways:

1. The character is a rationalist, and doesn't feel the touch of the fae and weird (i.e. the goblins are just funny little men in costumes, that Ring of Red Ruin is just a bit of jewelry - what's all the fuss about?).

2. Play the exact opposite - the character doesn't have a compass for what's weird, and is a bit of a credulous goob when it comes to magic. When a sorcerer casts a spell, most people's hair stands on end and they smell ozone; but this character doesn't (though they might pretend to). More amusingly, they might see magic in the prosaic (i.e - they're easily taken in by tricks and chicanery, thinking that it's actual magic).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
In my games, NPCs with high Psychic Talent tend to be fairly confident and to take things as they come, those with low Psychic Talent tend to be cautious and to be more careful about trying to avoid danger. I rationalise this by assuming that during their childhoods, those with high Psychic Talent tended to have a bit of an easier life with more good things happening around them, simply because their Psychic Talent gave them a little edge at times and vice versa because they somehow instinctively noticed things that they didn't even know they were noticing.

Players could do the same, but the one thing I have noticed them doing in my games is a little different. High Psychic Talent character tend to be more comfortable around anything mystical or unusual. Low Psychic Talent characters tend to be very cautious around such things. It's not that dissimilar but it's more about specific things being seen as 'magical', rather than a general thing.

(In my games, characters with very high Psychic Talent - especially 18 - probably had some odd incidents in their childhood where something strange happened - some sorcerers look for stories about incidents like that in order to find potential apprentices - "You say the child was unburned by the fire, even though his clothes were charred to ashes?" - "So, everytime you try to force Paula to attend her lessons with the Priest, one of the cows escapes...")

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Hm. Now theres a thought. Might be considered like a LUCK stat, which doesn't exist in some systems. Not in Palladium Fantasy rpg anyway.

I suppose it gives them an advantage. But we don't want to override the existing sixth and seventh sense. Shouldn't apply. A Barbarian with a psychic talent 18 won't have any senses compared to a psychic talent 9 mystic since he has no ability or training in the field.

Suppose its one of those stats that take effort to roleplay, a bit like a looks score, which I believe can also be a burden.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:58 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
In simple terms it would relate to how confident the character feels around magic. It is 'talent' after all. Someone with a high 'Psychic Talent' has a naturally higher Magical Defence, so are less prone to being influenced by magical effects. They would therefore be less fearful.

Those with low Psychic Talent have a lowered Magical Defence - they are more prone to feeling the ill effects of sorcery and the like, and would naturally be more suspicious and fearful of magic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:10 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Just a thought. Maybe make it interchangeable with Intuition. In that respect, high psychic talent people would be good gamblers.

Well, I know they say card games are a skill game, maybe that's an intelligence dependent game. But if its dice or roulette, maybe the high psychic talent mystic would be better. What is it? Better at Old man of the mountain rather than that buffoon game in book 1 blood sword. Frey's roosters or whatnot.

Well, my first question was how to roleplay one, and I guess a player has little control over whether he's lucky or not. But I think a high psychic talent would help in gambling.

Intuition, as in acquiring a strange new object and figuring out how to turn off the safety feature, or figuring out that you need to push the button.

Maybe there could be more 'magical interfaces' for the players to encounter. Doors carved with mystical runes, automatons waiting to be activated. Transporter controls and hyperdrive devices. I'm sure the high psychic talent character can naturally figure out how to fly a plane. More of a lateral thinker than those with a pure intellect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
Just thoughts. I'd imagine a low reflex character is probably overweight and therefore unable to climb ropes and ladders, or someone with a physical disability. But how does one roleplay the psychic talent high or low character? I might guess a high talent individual might have more empathy, but thats hard to say.

I guess it all depends on what Psychic Talent represents in your game. The Lands of Legend are entwined with melancholic influences of the Otherworld, for which a high Psychic Talent could be both a blessing (in that it helps with a defence against these influences) or a curse (in that ignorance is bliss). But other than a sensitivity to Otherworld and resisting magic, what else is it good for? In my campaigns, it also represents willpower, so a character with low Psychic Talent may be impulsive and seduced by the many vices that could imperil and tarnish a hero's fine reputation (such as gambling, drinking, whoring, etc.).

You could also introduce some more game effects from Psychic Talent - for example, a high psychic talent may mean you get more benefit from potions (and conversely a low score means potions have less effect). Or you need a psychic talent above 9 to get the benefit of a +2 weapon or armour (maybe 12+ for +3 bonuses), representing a character that is not 'in tune' with his magical weapon or armour being unable to exploit the full benefits.

There are some really good ideas coming out in this thread, that I'll certainly be using in my next campaign - I make my players create characters using 5d6, discarding both the highest and lowest roll, to ensure that they bulk of their stats are average. They also have to assign stats in the order that they're rolled, which means their extreme scores don't always end up where they would choose to put them. However, my players have sometimes struggled to figure out how to play a high (or low) characteristic score, so the more guidance I can give them the better!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Ah, vices, in that case, every character I play has a very slow psychic talent, or should have a low score, since I tend to spend all the money on alcohol and other forms of entertainment.

There is that ... zombie, fungus men I think who tends to cause high psychic talent people some negative effect. Would be good to come up with other effects. Perhaps if there is a lot of death in the area, high psychic characters will be more disturbed and on edge, more vulnerable to fright attacks than low psychic talent types.

and maybe low psychic talent types will be more susceptible to obesity and reduced reflexes.

Obesity rules... now there's a thought...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:44 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
Obesity rules... now there's a thought...

I would imagine adventuring burns a lot of calories...

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!