Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:46 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Damian May wrote:
Probably. But I can't see any reason why us fans can't take up the slack.

Just to play Devil's advocate for a moment, to what end would fans take up SKG's slack? In other words, what's the point?

I'm not asking because I don't think it's a good idea; and I'm happy to post the occasional review, polish and share material I get from Dave M, keep my site up to date as SKG publish new material, and contribute to discussions here, etc. But let's look at the two main troves of Dragon Warriors goodness on the Internet over which our community has access and control:
  1. This forum is the beating heart of the Dragon Warriors community, but there are only 14 members that have posted more than 10 articles. That's not really a very big pool of active fans to mobilise.
  2. The Dragon Warriors Wiki is our crown jewels of apocrypha, the only updates to which in the past month or so have been from a spam account, about which the administrator (who?) is doing nothing. Even Shaun, the single brightest light that shines on Legend has not made the Cadaver Draconis material available on the wiki, instead packaging it into a document for download here (I know there are other contributors, but my point stands).

We haven't really got our house in order, and SKG isn't doing a particularly good job of invigorating Dragon Warriors or working with the handful of us left that want to make Dragon Warriors successful. All of which leaves me struggling to see how a handful of vocal stalwarts posting a few quickly-forgotten threads on RPG forums is going to revive the Dragon Warriors game.

Thoughts?

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:16 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Knave
Thanks for identifying the latest batch of spam on the DW Wiki, which is now erased. Other spam threads had previously been removed in the last couple of months.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:37 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

As reagards the Wiki, new DW material is clearly being published on three of the four(?) main DW sites at this present time. The Library Forum is serving as a very good platform for discussion, and that was always bound to distract from the Wiki forum. Yes, the DW Wiki could do with an overhaul and more page updates, but the original idea was that people could freely create their own content and also cross-post / link through to other non-Wiki content, and the community has largely disengaged from the Wiki. I intend to add more Wiki updates but many hands would make for much lighter work all round...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:41 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

... and before anybody asks, I can confirm that I am one of the mods on the DW Wiki, but I am not the site owner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:06 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Damian May wrote:
Probably. But I can't see any reason why us fans can't take up the slack.

Just to play Devil's advocate for a moment, to what end would fans take up SKG's slack? In other words, what's the point?

I'm not asking because I don't think it's a good idea; and I'm happy to post the occasional review, polish and share material I get from Dave M, keep my site up to date as SKG publish new material, and contribute to discussions here, etc. But let's look at the two main troves of Dragon Warriors goodness on the Internet over which our community has access and control:
  1. This forum is the beating heart of the Dragon Warriors community, but there are only 14 members that have posted more than 10 articles. That's not really a very big pool of active fans to mobilise.
  2. The Dragon Warriors Wiki is our crown jewels of apocrypha, the only updates to which in the past month or so have been from a spam account, about which the administrator (who?) is doing nothing. Even Shaun, the single brightest light that shines on Legend has not made the Cadaver Draconis material available on the wiki, instead packaging it into a document for download here (I know there are other contributors, but my point stands).

We haven't really got our house in order, and SKG isn't doing a particularly good job of invigorating Dragon Warriors or working with the handful of us left that want to make Dragon Warriors successful. All of which leaves me struggling to see how a handful of vocal stalwarts posting a few quickly-forgotten threads on RPG forums is going to revive the Dragon Warriors game.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are I can do nothing and get all negative and probably stop writing cos Black Dog will eat my soul or I can force myself to do as much as I can with or without official help and keep both my spirits and my hopes alive.

Sitting on my arse and bitching about stuff is just going to be a big negative influence on both the game and me personally.

I'm not forcing people to help, if they don't want to its no skin off my nose.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:08 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Jiminy wrote:
... and before anybody asks, I can confirm that I am one of the mods on the DW Wiki, but I am not the site owner.

Also a mod....but I've been a little busy lately.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:

Thoughts?

A few brief observations (and they have to be brief because I am squeezing this post into morning recess as I do my 'real job' :)

I love the Dragon Warriors Wiki for what it is, but I don't make much use of it myself for a couple of reasons. I'm not up to date at webdesign - the last time I did this professionally was in the 1990s and the HTML I know and use is still the same HTML that was in use in the 1990s. I haven't got the time or inclination to spend updating my web design skills, or learning the precise coding that Wikis want where it differs from basic html - or rather I would rather spend the time I could spend on that, actually doing more 'creative work'. I set up my own website largely because it allows me to use my own HTML skills as I like without worrying about having an ultra modern page. And because I have the page I am more likely to set up my material here than on the Wiki.

In the case of Cadaver Draconis while I'm hosting it, and I was pretty heavily involved in putting together the completed document, the main reason I'm hosting it is simply because I have a webpage to host it on that is convenient. Let me be clear about this - while I was probably a major editor of the released version of Cadaver Draconis. I wrote only a small part of it. I was not the instigator in putting it together - I was asked to help with that once others had decided it was a good idea and they were also the people who suggested it be done as a PDF - which, frankly, I think was a better way to go than doing it on the Wiki, for simple convenience while gaming - although I'd be delighted if somebody else wanted to take all the paths and put them on the Wiki!

Since I shared Cadaver Draconis the other day, it's been downloaded approximately 100 times (112 unique visitors have been to its webpage and looking at the size of the file and the traffic on the website, I'd be confident the download amount is somewhere close to 100). It's been shared here and in a couple of other places. That's not a huge number - but it's a lot larger than the number of people who bother to comment about it. I'd love to see a more active fan community. I really would. I'd love to see more reviews of products. I'd love to see more comments. But at the moment I think I'm doing all I can about it.

Would I like to see Serpent King being more proactive? Yes, to an extent, I would, but I'm also very aware of how much work the people at Serpent King have done to get us to the stage of having new material and how limited their time has been at times. I'd rather that they spent the limited time they have editing 'The Summoners Tale' (which I really want to see released!) than posting updates on forums. I can help them with the latter. I can't do the former.

Out of recess - will try and post more at lunchtime as there is at least one more post I want to address on this.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Even Shaun, the single brightest light that shines on Legend has not made the Cadaver Draconis material available on the wiki, instead packaging it into a document for download here (I know there are other contributors, but my point stands).

I want to address this specifically - because it is important to me it is not unclear and that others get the credit for their work.

There certainly were other contributors to Cadaver Draconis - and their contributions were much more significant than mine. I am hosting the file because I have the webpage to do it on, and I announced it here because I am hosting it, and so I knew exactly when it went live, but I don't want anybody thinking I was the main author or anything like it.

It's been years since we wrote all this, so remembering exactly who wrote what is difficult but as best I can recall I wrote only one of the Paths that make up the bulk of Cadaver Draconis. I also put together two of the appendices. That's it as far as my significant contribution goes. Oh - and the front cover. And I sourced some of the internal art.

Other people wrote most of it. Another person took the document and turned it into a PDF.

I'm proud to be part of it - but I am very much only part of it.

Attachments:
CDCreds.gif
CDCreds.gif [ 32.31 KiB | Viewed 4616 times ]

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Dreadnought wrote:
Would I like to see Serpent King being more proactive? Yes, to an extent, I would, but I'm also very aware of how much work the people at Serpent King have done to get us to the stage of having new material and how limited their time has been at times. I'd rather that they spent the limited time they have editing 'The Summoners Tale' (which I really want to see released!) than posting updates on forums. I can help them with the latter. I can't do the former.

We had new material before SKG (and before Magnum Opus) and we'll continue to have new material after SKG. I agree that SKG folks are busy (aren't we all?) and that they've worked hard (again, haven't we all?), but if they are short of time, I'd like to see them come to the community and ask them for help - if they need proof-readers and editors to help them to get new material out, then I imagine there would be a lot of interest (I'm as keen as the next guy to see new material released, so would happily pitch in, if asked).

And it's not just posting to forums; only SKG has access to the download addresses from DriveThruRPG to be able to keep the folks that have already bought from them updated with new products, discounts, and news. Or maybe just keeping their own site up to date (the Players' Guide is not even listed under their 'Our Products' page), linking to other Dragon Warriors resources on the 'net, etc. Even inviting guest bloggers to talk about some element of Legend, game mechanics, or something, to make their blog more interesting (I'm glad it's been a bit more active this month). Again, all things with which the community can assist, if asked.

The 'busy people; busy lives' defence only excuses so much before you have to wonder whether it really is just an excuse.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Oh man, by the time I was putting up my dragwars collection together in the mid 90's it was a collectors item. I still remember that time I showed the 6 books to my regular gaming group and also the hunting knife I had in case they were to do anything to damage them, or to do anything disrespectful in the presence of the sacred Dragwars books.

Didn't see Underdogs uploading the soft copies. No way to back them up at the time. That sure didn't help the cause of dragwars then. Not that those guys could've got a copy at any price, only thing you could find was book 1 at WH Smith, which was on the shelf for maybe 2 years. Maybe longer.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next