It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Critical Hits
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:13 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
Here's a potential house rule I thought about while camping this weekend:

In addition to getting a critical hit when a player rolls a 1 in combat, they also get a critical hit if they roll and hit with a 12 or an 18.

This would allow higher ranked characters to polish off lesser foes in shorter order, and avoid the issue with a powerful warrior with dagger and plate mail having no advantage over the peasant who is similarly equipped.

Thoughts? Problems?

Post subject: Re: Critical Hits
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
maasenstodt wrote:
Here's a potential house rule I thought about while camping this weekend:

In addition to getting a critical hit when a player rolls a 1 in combat, they also get a critical hit if they roll and hit with a 12 or an 18.

This would allow higher ranked characters to polish off lesser foes in shorter order, and avoid the issue with a powerful warrior with dagger and plate mail having no advantage over the peasant who is similarly equipped.

My immediate reaction is that I like it. I can't see any immediate downside - basically it's a double or triple chance to crit, when there's a significantly more powerful opponent... yes, I think I'm going to try this.

In my own games, I've sometimes used a rule that if somebody chooses to use a d30 in combat instead of a d20, they can do double damage.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:34 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Dreadnought wrote:
In my own games, I've sometimes used a rule that if somebody chooses to use a d30 in combat instead of a d20, they can do double damage.

That's a pretty interesting rule in its own right, one that could be carried over to spell casting rolls as well. How did that work out in actual play?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:55 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Because in my games both the To Hit and ABR dice are rolled at the same time any time a one is rolled on the d20 the unneeded ABR roll result is added to the damage total.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:02 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Damian May wrote:
Because in my games both the To Hit and ABR dice are rolled at the same time any time a one is rolled on the d20 the unneeded ABR roll result is added to the damage total.

So crits in your game are pretty serious! :)

So my current (non-DW) game uses a variant of the critical charts from DCCRPG, and they've worked out great. In DW, though, I see how bypassing armor is both a pretty big deal and I'm worried about stacking other effects on top of that.

Does your rule apply to both players and NPCs? If so, have you run into any problems with this rule?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:49 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
maasenstodt wrote:
Damian May wrote:

So crits in your game are pretty serious! :)

So my current (non-DW) game uses a variant of the critical charts from DCCRPG, and they've worked out great. In DW, though, I see how bypassing armor is both a pretty big deal and I'm worried about stacking other effects on top of that.

Does your rule apply to both players and NPCs? If so, have you run into any problems with this rule?

Both NPCs and PCs, it can lead to death but my players know that that is always a possibility with DW. Mostly we start at Rank 3 or 4 these days so they need to be facing something pretty beefy to get oneshotted, usually.

Also I tend to let Sorcerers give up their intended action to run across and save the day when someone yells 'Medic!'.

Our Knave did manage to kill an enemy knight by rolling a 1 To Hit and an 8 on ABR which did 12 dam, I narrated that one as her managing to stick her sword straight through the poor buggers visor slot. :)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Damian May wrote:
Our Knave did manage to kill an enemy knight by rolling a 1 To Hit and an 8 on ABR which did 12 dam, I narrated that one as her managing to stick her sword straight through the poor buggers visor slot. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I suppose it would be an easy enough thing to combine these two rules. It bears thinking about.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:06 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Clever and simple idea. I like it. Unlike my own solutions to the critical hit issue, it doesn't require any change to the existing rules or looking things up on tables etc.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:54 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Since the difference between a 1st rank knight, who may well be quite experienced compared to a farmer is about 2 ATTACK, I think every single unit of difference has a vast difference. I really believe a 7th rank knight ought to be able to slice his way quickly and effectively through peasants so something along this line is good. Years of war and slaughter to hit 7th rank and to be taken out by 3 peasants with a pitch fork when you're caught without your armour wouldn't feel right.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:37 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Assassin
Kharille wrote:
Years of war and slaughter to hit 7th rank and to be taken out by 3 peasants with a pitch fork when you're caught without your armour wouldn't feel right.

Feels totally right to me, unless you're playing a game where characters are overly more powerful than the common man. The feel of DW to me is that no matter how advanced you get, you're still just a mortal being who can die, and numbers play against you, just like in real life.