A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Critical Hits
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:14 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
In that case, a high looks score is really overpowered. Getting a lynch mob on your side and getting some rickety peasants to do your dirty work...

I suppose the Samurai found that out when a few dung smelling ashigaru blasted them away with muskets.... Similar situation in Europe I suppose.....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:55 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
In that case, a high looks score is really overpowered. Getting a lynch mob on your side and getting some rickety peasants to do your dirty work...

I believe that's what the Knave profession is for...

But, yes, political power is by far superior to muscle power. in other FRPGs like D&D, for example, by the time the warrior is mid-level, he really has nothing to fear from law enforcement, peasants, or anyone except other adventurers, so can pretty much do what he likes. The game is then unconstrained by the game world and limited only by what the PCs want to do - and should the players get out of line, most GMs are left with nothing short of resorting to deploying unlikely obstacles of powerful adversaries in the way of paths he doesn't want his players to take, which often reeks to the players of railroading.

Dragon Warriors is different - regardless of the PCs' professions, as wandering vagrants they are likely to be shunned by suspicious communities of distrustful peasants, and the barons that wield absolute power within their domains will fear the disruption that such mendicants often bring. Even the noblest Dragon Warrior will have to swim against this tide of exclusion and fear to earn even the smallest sliver of trust. The PCs are notable only by how much they don't fit into rigidly stratified dark age society - heroism is not currency that peasants or nobles will necessarily allow them to spend. So yes, even a mid-ranked knight should fear a peasant uprising - the feudal contract is, after all, a contract, and a wise knight knows that he must uphold his end of it if he's going to sustain his position.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:44 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
narmox wrote:
Kharille wrote:
Years of war and slaughter to hit 7th rank and to be taken out by 3 peasants with a pitch fork when you're caught without your armour wouldn't feel right.

Feels totally right to me, unless you're playing a game where characters are overly more powerful than the common man. The feel of DW to me is that no matter how advanced you get, you're still just a mortal being who can die, and numbers play against you, just like in real life.

Yup.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Not every advantage is in the rules too. A smart fighter knows when to avoid a fight, when to retreat into a doorway to even the odds, and when to fight imaginatively (for example, the player comes up with something like throwing sand in the enemy's face or whatever, and the GM chooses to give them a small bonus in the fight to reward their imagination and efforts to liven up the tedious hack and slash or regular combat). A good GM will give a high ranking character a better chance of pulling off these tricks, and may even leave hints for the player if they're playing their master knight like a clueless fresh recruit.

I do think though that if a rule change is to be considered, experienced adventurer should get a bonus to initiative, to reflect that they don't sit around gawping like a mere civilian when something dramatic happens. I think there's plenty of evidence for this kind of thing in real life.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:01 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Then again, an experienced 7th rank character has survived a lot of battles. I'm sure being in the right place at the right time and using his authority and position to stay out of the thick of it would be nice but surely a 7th rank knight with no armour should do well against a 1st rank with full armour.

Hm, maybe a revised experience point rule giving points for defeating armies would be in order..... and the sorcerer/assassin equivalent....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640