A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pluto: A quick overview
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:02 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
This has been a brewing in my mind for a long time, and it's still very much a work in progress. However, I feel as though I'm finally ready to start talking publicly about this project, and to start to get feedback on it. So here goes...

Pluto is a science fantasy campaign setting. It takes place in the far distant future, on and around the "dwarf" planet Pluto, in an age when most of humanity has left this solar system, and the Sun is a swollen red giant that has already consumed the Earth and is on the verge of collapsing, thereby "turning the lights out" on our ancestral home system.

While much of the setting was conceived around ideas born out of discussion in the Old School Revolution, I'm thinking that the Dragon Warriors game may be a better fit for Pluto and, for the time being at least, I'm going to work on the setting using DW's rules as a framework. By talking about that work here, I hope to benefit from the experience of those who have infinitely more actual play experience with DW.

The major sources of literary inspiration for this setting are Jack Vance's Dying Earth saga, Dan Simmon's Ilium and Olympos, Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light, and Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy and 2312.

I'm probably going to start my public work on this project by going through the Dragon Warriors core book and exploring how the various elements may play out in the Pluto setting. Any thoughts or feedback would be very welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:26 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Interesting. Never read those books. Is this gunpowder era?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Random thought - after reading the description I was reminded of an old Dead Can Dance album called 'Within the Realm of a Dying Sun".

If you don't have a name for the campaign setting, something like that would be appropriate.

Here's the first track from the album for the curious...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdjqIBZoIEY
The music of Dead Can Dance accompanied many of my DW games back in the day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:06 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Kharille wrote:
Is this gunpowder era?

The tech level is something akin to what you'd find in Metamorphosis Alpha. Most humans rely on relatively primitive technology, but artifacts of tremendous power (a laser rifle, for instance) are not terribly uncommon either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:08 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

wimlach wrote:
Random thought - after reading the description I was reminded of an old Dead Can Dance album called 'Within the Realm of a Dying Sun".

If you don't have a name for the campaign setting, something like that would be appropriate.

Here's the first track from the album for the curious...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdjqIBZoIEY
The music of Dead Can Dance accompanied many of my DW games back in the day.

Great tip!

I listened to quite a bit of Dead Can Dance in the 90's and still have a few albums. Never had or heard this one, though. I definitely track it down! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:56 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
So you have firearms and lasers using dragwars rules eh?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:41 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Kharille wrote:
So you have firearms and lasers using dragwars rules eh?

A firearm would likely be a real relic on Pluto, probably something taken out a museum or other collection.

Laser weapons are certainly out there. What is a Ring of Red Ruin but a powerful miniaturized laser built into a ring? Having said that, just as one wouldn't find Rings of Red Ruin carried around by the average villager in Legend, neither would such folk regularly carry them on Pluto.

While such weapons can be found on Pluto in shapes that seem congruent in our modern world (i.e., in the forms of rifles, pistols, etc.), those would likely be considered rather crude and archaic (if effective) tools by most craftsmen of the far future. Far better to integrate those capabilities into forms that are either more inconspicuous or ostentatious, depending upon one's goals. Items like rings and amulets, being easy to carry and beautiful to boot, make wonderful receptacles for such devices.