A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:10 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
A player may be an Automaton if none of their attribute scores are below 9, and they roll a 16 or higher for psychic talent (I'm making a presumption here that magic is fact high technology - Automatons are very aware of 'magic' in the environment, though their artificial design does not allow them to take full advantage of it).

On a related note, do we think automata and one-offs like the Armoured One of Skiosonar are are products of engineering or of magic? I've always seen these contructs in Dragon Warriors as being effectively mechanical zombies, being animated by magic but with inorganic bodies. If we broke one open today we'd find perhaps gears and pulleys etc inside, but no circuit boards, chemical batteries, or electric motors.

What do others think?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:39 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Thinking about blood sword book 3. I think it mentions that the wooden.. Hitauli or whatever you call it needed to be charged up by the flux. Perhaps there are different ways to create these animated humanoids. Using the 'flux', drawing on powers of necromancy or demonic energies, screws and bolts or invoking divine powers and binding entities into physical objects.

I'd say the Seven in One was more magical than mechanical. In book 3 there was also an automaton which probably used nails and chewing gum...

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:22 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
WodenKrait wrote:
Quote:
A player may be an Automaton if none of their attribute scores are below 9, and they roll a 16 or higher for psychic talent (I'm making a presumption here that magic is fact high technology - Automatons are very aware of 'magic' in the environment, though their artificial design does not allow them to take full advantage of it).

On a related note, do we think automata and one-offs like the Armoured One of Skiosonar are are products of engineering or of magic? I've always seen these contructs in Dragon Warriors as being effectively mechanical zombies, being animated by magic but with inorganic bodies. If we broke one open today we'd find perhaps gears and pulleys etc inside, but no circuit boards, chemical batteries, or electric motors.

What do others think?

Cheers,

-Kyle

A world with magic does not preclude the development of technology, so it would be natural that the two would be combined, allowing futuristic creations available well before their time, powered by magical rather than technological means.

In vanilla DW, I see automatons as basically 'clockwork' or 'steampunk' robots with a magical power source and mind, two things that we are only just solving with technology, but are well within the realms of what is possible with sorcery.