Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:31 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Ah, just a matter of mobility. So I suppose if you break their arms they might just miscast their spells....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:34 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I'm sure of it. Just as if you gagged them.

I wonder how much mobility a Sorcerer actually needs to cast a spell. I assume they can be sitting still, but do they need to move their entire arms? Elbows down? Wrist down? Is it a finger agility thing mainly?

For that matter how loud does a sorcerer need to chant his incantations? Would it be possible to quietly hex somebody at the table next to yours at McDonalds by whispering the spell under your voice and using subtle finger movements?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I was thinking about Mungodan style plate armour. stripped down for comfort from the heat, maybe that would not hinder mobility.

I suppose its not essential to shout. At least not for low level spells. FIRESTORM might need a louder speech, don't see why anybody would want to whisper for that. But illusions should be easy to whisper, more subtle and harder to detect.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

To be comprehensive I think we'll need to add to the spell descriptions a Gesture Level (GL) and Incantation Volume (IV). GL will be on a scale of 1 to 5 (corresponding to the inverse of the Armour Factors), and IV is a measure of how loud the spellcasting must be, on a similar scale. Whenever casting a spell, all the sorcerer needs to do is compute their CSV (Casting Subtlety Value) according to the following formula:

CSV=20-((GLx2)+(IV))

And then a Stealth roll using CSV against the highest perception in the area. If they succeed then nobody has noticed them casting the spell.

By Default we can set GL as 3 for Sorcerers and typical IVs range from 1 for Image to 6 for Dragonbreath.

I'm not sure what Serpent Kings have in the pipeline right now, but I humbly suggest they incorporate the above important rule enhancement in to their next publication before it's too late.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
WodenKrait wrote:
To be comprehensive I think we'll need to add to the spell descriptions a Gesture Level (GL) and Incantation Volume (IV). GL will be on a scale of 1 to 5 (corresponding to the inverse of the Armour Factors), and IV is a measure of how loud the spellcasting must be, on a similar scale. Whenever casting a spell, all the sorcerer needs to do is compute their CSV (Casting Subtlety Value) according to the following formula:

CSV=20-((GLx2)+(IV))

And then a Stealth roll using CSV against the highest perception in the area. If they succeed then nobody has noticed them casting the spell.

By Default we can set GL as 3 for Sorcerers and typical IVs range from 1 for Image to 6 for Dragonbreath.

I'm not sure what Serpent Kings have in the pipeline right now, but I humbly suggest they incorporate the above important rule enhancement in to their next publication before it's too late.

Can you imagine the gesture I'm currently giving in the direction of this idea :)

To state the obvious, this is one of those areas where I think the GM could apply their common sense. :)

Although, I do have a rule I use - In my own games, I do allow a chance for a Sorcerer to cast a spell if restrained, but they first of all have to roll equal to or under their (Reflexes - the rank of the spell on d20), and then roll equal to or under their (Psychic Talent on 4d6 - the rank of the spell) - this second roll can be modified by spending extra magic points on it. If gagged, they have to roll equal to or under whichever is lowest under their Intelligence and Psychic Talent on d100 (thus rolling under both of them on the single roll). They can modify this roll by spending extra magic points on it.

The extra magic points can be spent <b>after</b> making those rolls to 'force' through the spell.

Example - Hulver (Reflexes 9, Intelligence 12, Psychic Talent 14) the Sorcerer is gagged, but wants to cast a Shadowbolt on his captors.

His player needs to roll under 12 on d100 (his Intelligence of 12 being the lowest of his Intelligence and Psychic Talent). He rolls a 17 - 5 too high - but he knows he is almost there, so he forces the spell through by spending 5 more Magic Points and kills one of the captors.

Once he is recaptured, his captors decided that gagging him didn't work, so instead they tie his hands behind his back by his thumbs. His Magic Points depleted, he decides that this time he will cast a Dragonbreath. He has to roll equal to or under 8 (Reflexes of 9 - rank of spell of 1) on d20 - and he rolls a total of 7, so he can needs to roll equal to or under his Psychic Talent of 14 - rank of spell of 1, 13 on 4d6. He rolls almost catastrophically badly - a 23 on 4d6! - but by spending 10 more MPs, he manages to fry a second captor.

(At this point, he is beaten to death... but hey, he did well up until now).

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:27 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

The acid test you could apply to how successful a sorcerer is in getting as spell to work is to assume he's using a smartphone's virtual assistant (like Siri or Google Now) to do it. First you must pull the phone out of your pocket, hold it in front of you, and activate the virtual assistant (hand gestures), and then recite "I am the very model of a modern major general" (incantation). If this is correctly understood by the phone, the spell has succeeded.

To complete the simulation you must actually submit the player themselves to the same restraint and harship their sorcerer is experiencing and then have them conduct the test for real. If they complain, threaten to deduct experience points; they are clearly not taking the game seriously enough.

Cheers,

-Kyle