A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reaction Rolls
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:55 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
In my many years of refereeing old school D&D, probably among the most important mechanics to my games has been the reaction roll, which is typically used when the PCs encounter a previously unknown person or creature whose attitude towards them isn't already established, and which is designed to randomly determine that person or creature's disposition towards the PCs. Using reaction rolls has really benefited my games, making them more interesting and less predictable for everyone involved.

As I work on my prospective Dragon Warriors campaign, it occurs to me that I don't think I've seen any such table for DW. Am I missing something here, obvious or not?

Post subject: Re: Reaction Rolls
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
As far as I recall (this may have been added in more recent rules supplements), DW does not include any rules on random NPC reaction - it was generally left to GM and player to role play out these encounters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
maasenstodt wrote:
In my many years of refereeing old school D&D, probably among the most important mechanics to my games has been the reaction roll, which is typically used when the PCs encounter a previously unknown person or creature whose attitude towards them isn't already established, and which is designed to randomly determine that person or creature's disposition towards the PCs. Using reaction rolls has really benefited my games, making them more interesting and less predictable for everyone involved.

As I work on my prospective Dragon Warriors campaign, it occurs to me that I don't think I've seen any such table for DW. Am I missing something here, obvious or not?

No such formal table exists in Dragon Warriors. I've occasionally used a crown and anchor die in my own games (I think I got the idea from something Gary Gygax wrote at some point - it certainly wasn't something that I came up with by myself - and I had the crown and anchor die because my father was a sailor) but for the most part, I've always preferred the idea of coming up the NPCs reaction myself based on what I know about the PC. I'd probably just use one of the D&D tables if I felt this was a useful thing in my games.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:26 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I've used home-grown reaction tables in the past (as well as basic personality tables, NPC appearance tables etc). I see them in the same way as DW's existing Chance Encounters tables; not something to supplant the GM's creative process, but rather an aid that helps the imagination is flagging or things take an unexpected turn and game content is not available. I don't recall having to resort to the tables very often though.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
maasenstodt wrote:

The D&D-style reaction tables typically either based reactions on Charisma scores or on things like Race (or a combination of both), which can be a very crude and simplistic approach - you might almost just as well decide randomly, as roll.

People do make snap judgments based on how people look, so you could easily just make a Looks test to see if people warm to you or not, but I think what you're getting at is people's attitudes. Prejudice is much more likely to inform a medieval person's opinion than what you look like (although that would probably still be a consideration to a certain extent), so maybe we need a series of random tables to determine an NPC's attitudes towards aspects of a character that are likely to influence their reaction.

For example, how does the peasant feel about strangers from out of town (wandering mendicants that stir up trouble, or repositories of stories), magic (good luck if you're obviously a magicker of some description or have an obviously magical mutation, like a fox's eye), gender roles, piety, social status (a knight's social status could count against him in some encounters), and so on? Consider also the PCs' reputations (whether true or otherwise, a PC's deeds may precede their meeting). It can be difficult to condense all of this into a few rolls on a few tables, but if you're up for the challenge, I'd encourage you to post them here 'cos I'd be very interested to see what you come up with.

Good luck!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!