Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
I'm thinking about expanding the number of options available to players who roll a critical hit in combat. Besides automatic armor bypass, simply getting an immediate 2nd attack in the round also seemed like a natural fit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on other options?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:33 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
A simple addition I toyed with was allowing a critical hit if you roll less than 10% of the 'to hit' value. Normally this will still be 1 on a D20 (and cannot be lower), but in cases where a character needs 15 or less to hit, it becomes a 1 or 2. Should a character ever need 25 or less to hit, they may score a critical on 3 or less.

Typically this would only be if the opponent has zero or minimal defence, or is of a significantly lower rank. However, in both these situations it is appropriate that the attacker would find it easier to bypass armour entirely, regardless of inherent AF.

In addition, if after scoring a critical the subsequent armour bypass roll succeeds (making the critical hit somewhat redundant), the critical hit is applied to damage instead - doubling the usual amount. No critical is ever wasted!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
A concept I've been toying with (but can't quite get working right) is to forget the old 'dumb luck' critical hit mechanic, or at least de-emphasise it, in favour of a kind of gambit system. To use this, an attacker may voluntarily gamble some of his Attack skill, reducing it for that round. If he still succeeds in the attack, he may convert what he gambled into boosted Armour Bypass, or Damage, or whatever. A very skilled fighter facing off against a peasant could therefore rapidly dispatch his lesser foe by risking big on each attack. A defender may choose to gamble Defence to boost Armour Bypass or reduce damage. To make this meaningful the players would have to describe this in real-world terms (e.g. "I'm going to stab straight at the jugular. I'll sacrifice five points of Attack and put them towards damage", or "I'll twist and take the blow on my heavy pauldrons. I'm giving up 3 points of Defence and putting it towards AF")

This could work with any other kind of roll (Magical Attack, Stealth etc) too I suppose. The idea is that if you sacrifice some of your skill and still make the roll, you can convert what you gambled on the immediate results of the roll.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Assassin
WodenKrait wrote:
A concept I've been toying with (but can't quite get working right) is to forget the old 'dumb luck' critical hit mechanic, or at least de-emphasise it, in favour of a kind of gambit system. To use this, an attacker may voluntarily gamble some of his Attack skill, reducing it for that round. If he still succeeds in the attack, he may convert what he gambled into boosted Armour Bypass, or Damage, or whatever. A very skilled fighter facing off against a peasant could therefore rapidly dispatch his lesser foe by risking big on each attack. A defender may choose to gamble Defence to boost Armour Bypass or reduce damage. To make this meaningful the players would have to describe this in real-world terms (e.g. "I'm going to stab straight at the jugular. I'll sacrifice five points of Attack and put them towards damage", or "I'll twist and take the blow on my heavy pauldrons. I'm giving up 3 points of Defence and putting it towards AF")

This could work with any other kind of roll (Magical Attack, Stealth etc) too I suppose. The idea is that if you sacrifice some of your skill and still make the roll, you can convert what you gambled on the immediate results of the roll.

Cheers,

-Kyle

I like that!

Too bad my campaign is winding down to its last game this week before my group moves to other game systems for a while (they like variety instead of long-running campaigns)... Next time, though, next time!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:14 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I think I vaguely recall some disabilities in the latest rules. How about automatic dismembering limbs, slicing the eyes and causing permanent injuries? The rules are there and the recipient would be disabled. Not quite dead, still deadly I'm sure but much more subdued.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:03 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:

Dragon Warriors, in a few places, hints at a system of aimed attacks, where one can target a specific body part at a penalty to Attack (for example, see the description of the Winged Snake in the Bestiary) or by making a follow-up Reflexes test (for example, see the description of Golem in the Bestiary). Sadly, as is the case with a lot of these ad hoc rules throughout Dragon Warriors, there is not a consistent mechanic for resolving this kind of combat manoeuvre.

Given that Attack increases with training, and it's reasonable to expect accuracy in combat to increase with practice (rather than be based on an ability that remains relatively static throughout an adventurer's career, like Reflexes), I favour an approach whereby a combatant can deliberately handicap their Attack score to perform some enhanced attack (such as targeting a specific location). I would also extend this to aiming for unarmoured locations. For example, consider that leather armours probably cover little more than the body, thighs and upper arms, so maybe a -3 to hit to automatically bypass armour is appropriate. Chain, maybe -5 and Plate -7. I think I remember reading somewhere that to strike a ring on a sorcerer's finger is -8 Attack, but I'll be beggared if I can remember where I read that now...

I'd also allow a trade between Attack and Defence of 3 points from one, to give an advantage to the other to indicate whether the character is fighting aggressively or cautiously. I'd also be fine with professions with little combat training (like sorcerers and elementalists, for example) being unable to make these trades - they have one fighting style and are stuck with it!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:10 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
"I'll twist and take the blow on my heavy pauldrons. I'm giving up 3 points of Defence and putting it towards AF"

I think this could only work if you implement a system of piecemeal armour. For example, the character might be wearing chain, but also plate pauldrons - you could then sacrifice some Attack (or Defence) to make it more likely that the enemy's attack strikes the plated location and gets AF5 (for plate) instead of 4 (for chain). I'm not sure I'd let someone just get a bonus to AF (which is arguably much more valuable than Defence) if they were suited entirely in a single type of armour.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:35 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Trading ATTACK and DEFENCE? I'd say the Knight should have the defensive version of berserk, like a tank role. Bearing in mind that selentine legionaries fought as a group rather than as individuals like gladiators...

But I do feel that if someone is purely on defensive, there should be an easy to implement mechanism to improve their chances. Something as simple as reverse berserk.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640