A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The 'Z' Axis....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:21 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Just some area I wanted to learn more about other peoples experiences on. We know you can fall, and you can fly. I think movement is just given an distance for those dragons and flying heads. I'm sure it can be quite complicated to keep track of factors such as wind speed, which currently has no rules. I'm sure in an underwurlde it would be less of a factor without precipitation and other meteorological effects.

Seems complex trying to implement features like ropes and ladders. Has anyone created environments with chandeliers to swing on?

What about climbing speed? How fast can one climb to avoid getting hit?

On that matter, what about swimming speeds? I think I read something in one of the recent books. So how does water break a fall?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

Post subject: Re: The 'Z' Axis....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:34 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
Just some area I wanted to learn more about other peoples experiences on. We know you can fall, and you can fly. I think movement is just given an distance for those dragons and flying heads. I'm sure it can be quite complicated to keep track of factors such as wind speed, which currently has no rules. I'm sure in an underwurlde it would be less of a factor without precipitation and other meteorological effects.

I wouldn't bother with rules for how weather affects flight (or flight generally). Any kind of flight the PCs have, like flying carpets and other magic, probably wouldn't be impeded by the weather and for flying creatures under my control, as GM, I just determine how manoeuverable it is given the prevailing circumstances (such as low ceilings, wind, wingspan, method of flight, etc.).

Kharille wrote:
Seems complex trying to implement features like ropes and ladders. Has anyone created environments with chandeliers to swing on?

If I was running a cinematic campaign (i.e., one in which the laws of physics are, at best, only a guide...), I'd just allow for a suitably difficult Reflexes check (modified by any acrobatics skills the character might have). Otherwise, when the chandelier's momentum stops, so it does that for the person swinging on it, too...

Kharille wrote:
What about climbing speed? How fast can one climb to avoid getting hit?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about climbing to avoid being hit, but I reckon you could climb about 10' per round - if what you were climbing had plenty of hand-holds (e.g., ladder, knotted rope, vines, etc.). So if you wanted to get beyond someone's melee weapon reach, it will probably take one or two rounds (of being at zero Defence, of course). I'd probably allow a character to climb recklessly if they wanted to take a penalty to their Reflexes check, but climb 15' (and clear of melee attacks in a single round). For climbs with fewer handholds (natural stone, plastered walls, etc.), I'd probably halve climbing rates.

Kharille wrote:
On that matter, what about swimming speeds? I think I read something in one of the recent books. So how does water break a fall?

As a rule of thumb, I'd probably rule that water halves falling damage. Depending on why the character was falling (e.g., prepared and dove of his own volition vs. being pushed off), I'd probably allow a swim skill check to dive gracefully into the water and negate all falling damage (assuming the water is deep enough to properly break the fall). Either way, then come the swim checks to find the surface and a Reflexes check to keep hold of anything in your hand on impact with the water.

As for swimming speeds, the current 100m freestyle record is about 50 seconds (I think), so a world champion in perfect conditions can swim about 10m in 5 seconds. It's reasonable to assume that our heroes can comfortably manage about half that - so 5m per round in still water (like lakes) and 3-4m per round in open water (like seas). Adverse conditions (like wearing shoes, carrying something, wearing armour, etc.) would all penalise the swim check or distance travelled.

How would other people rule in these situations?

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:56 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Mystic
I agree with Lee. I would be reluctant to implement rules to cover these sort of situations as I feel a good GM should be able to adjudicate these situations by taking into account the characters skills, perceived difficulty of the task and a simple dice roll. I am a strong believer in keeping rules relatively simple (one of the reasons i love DW) and allowing characters to roleplay. I would not like to get bogged down in rule reading when I want the game to flow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:12 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Maybe its my lack of keeping up with sports. Didn't know 100m in 50 secs. Good to have this input. Its good, even if you share thoughts and experiences since I'm not in that position to measure these things. Not sure how I'd climb a rope with my low reflexes score....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:48 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Even if you wanted to go to the trouble of devising rules to cover all of the things, the existing mechanics are not fine grained enough to support you, and you'd have to overhaul them entirely. For instance, how fast you climb a rope is a product of many things, most importantly how strong you are relative to your weight. In DW we know a character's strength, but not their weight, so this is basically insoluble.

As for swimming speeds, the system can't even reasonably reflect normal running speed (everybody runs at the same rate, and that rate of 20m/cr is only 12 kph, which any schoolboy can easily beat) so you might as well divide the world 100 metres swimming record by about 4 as we see with land speeds in the system, and give everybody the same speed. That comes to 3m/cr max.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Yeah. Some systems address the running speed by making it an entirely separate stat. Guess if its simple and easy to implement good. Still, I keep looking to the combat aspect. I know some people are more into the talking part of it.

Just that the book goes into a little detail about the 'environment' which I would like to expand upon. Again, its awful to clutter it up with too many rules so the simplest features would be ideal.

Looking back, I still think Palladium Fantasy 1st revised edition is so perfect in so many ways. Running speeds, horsemanship skills, individual combat bonuses for different professions, pretty nice shield skills, lots of charts. It would take one gaming session just to do the charactersheets. Also they covered a lot of professions and everyone could take swimming or 'medical' if they really wanted to. Two weapon fighting, sailing.....

But they had barely any coverage on falling or illumination... Breaking down a door was by GM judgement whether they inflicted enough SDC damage to structures. Maybe thats something distinct about Dragwars....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:46 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Knight
I hear you're pain Kharille.

The beauty of Dragon Warriors is it's simplicity, but sometimes you just want that little bit more detail. Not too much or you spoil the broth, just a smidgeon of salt...