A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advice with VTT
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:27 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Mystic
I am seeking feedback on which Virtual Table Tops people use to play campaigns (if you use them at all, perhaps you may use other tools). I am currently looking at maptools and roll20 but would appreciate others experience in this area. I am trying to start a gaming group but we are spread across the country and gaming face to face isn't an option.

Post subject: Re: Advice with VTT
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
The game Shaun runs that I'm a player in uses roll20. Its not too bad but is not overly intuitive as an interface. I've never really used miniatures or detailed floorplans in my tt games so that took a bit of getting used to for me.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Markon wrote:
I am seeking feedback on which Virtual Table Tops people use to play campaigns (if you use them at all, perhaps you may use other tools). I am currently looking at maptools and roll20 but would appreciate others experience in this area. I am trying to start a gaming group but we are spread across the country and gaming face to face isn't an option.

As mentioned I use roll20 and I like it, but I haven't really tried others to compare it to.

If I had absolutely free choice, I think I'd use Fantasy Grounds, which I have played games in - but it's just too expensive for me at the moment (I'd want to get the type of licence where only the GM needs a licence and the players don't - there are individually cheaper licences, but everybody has to buy a separate one - this may be an option for some groups, of course).

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Dreadnought wrote:
If I had absolutely free choice, I think I'd use Fantasy Grounds, which I have played games in - but it's just too expensive for me at the moment (I'd want to get the type of licence where only the GM needs a licence and the players don't - there are individually cheaper licences, but everybody has to buy a separate one - this may be an option for some groups, of course).

I just took a look after writing that - Fantasy Grounds actually now offers the ultimate GM licence for $9.99 a month - that's actually the same as I am paying for Roll20 - of course, Roll20 does also have free accounts. If you want free, I'd recommend Roll20 - if you are willing to pay Fantasy Grounds would probably get my nod.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:21 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I used Maptools as a player in a GURPS campaign, both face-to-face and in a skype games. Its pretty good for a free product but I gather there's a lot of setup involved and I suspect it's not as polished or versatile as Roll20 (which I've never used).

Cheers,

-Kyle