Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:05 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Thane
I kinda like the Ars Magicka approach. Set in our own medieval world - but all of the traditional superstitions about witches and warlocks and goblins and fairies just happen to be true.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:26 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Some professions were more acceptable. Royal astrologer. Maybe under that guise, they can still appear in public despite some rather strange interests?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:50 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
wimlach wrote:
I'd caution getting too caught up in the 'historical' accuracy of Legend - though much is derived from the medieval periods of the real world, it is not our Earth. Magic is real, as are all manner of supernatural beings and realms, and this fact alone is enough to change the scope of available technology and beliefs.

For me it all depends on how prevalent magic is and supernatural creatures are. If they are the (very) rare exception and few people will even have seen a sorcerer, let alone magic, then it's reasonable enough to maintain a relatively close alignment to historical attitudes to the supernatural.

I like that DW is very low fantasy, and for me is one of its distinguishing features, so whilst some of the published adventures might err a little too much on the side of fantasy and magic, it is not my preference for the game, so medieval society can tick along very much as it did in our world.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
For me it all depends on how prevalent magic is and supernatural creatures are. If they are the (very) rare exception and few people will even have seen a sorcerer, let alone magic, then it's reasonable enough to maintain a relatively close alignment to historical attitudes to the supernatural.

One of the features of my game is that at least seven out of every ten (maybe even more) of the people you encounter who claim to have magic powers - don't. And two of the other three are simply people with very high Psychic Talent with no training, which in my game can occasionally mean that once in a blue moon they almost accidentally accomplish something (a few actually manage to get some control over some of their powers - like one person who has found that talking to her plants really does seem to help them grow and is famous for her vegetables all over Ongus, or the beekeeper who never ever gets stung. Even they don't know for sure if there is really magic going on, but they suspect there is something. Other people might not ever work it out - they are just unusually lucky (or occasionally unusually unlucky).

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:14 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Dreadnought wrote:
One of the features of my game is that at least seven out of every ten (maybe even more) of the people you encounter who claim to have magic powers - don't. And two of the other three are simply people with very high Psychic Talent with no training, which in my game can occasionally mean that once in a blue moon they almost accidentally accomplish something (a few actually manage to get some control over some of their powers - like one person who has found that talking to her plants really does seem to help them grow and is famous for her vegetables all over Ongus, or the beekeeper who never ever gets stung. Even they don't know for sure if there is really magic going on, but they suspect there is something. Other people might not ever work it out - they are just unusually lucky (or occasionally unusually unlucky).

That's a nice touch. I use Psychic Talent as a sort of 'luck' score, which makes it less of a dump stat for non-magickers, and it's usually the character with the highest Psychic Talent score whose eye catches that nondescript item with unusual properties and considers it worthy of a second look.

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:38 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Quote:

I like that DW is very low fantasy, and for me is one of its distinguishing features, so whilst some of the published adventures might err a little too much on the side of fantasy and magic, it is not my preference for the game, so medieval society can tick along very much as it did in our world.

I agree, plus aligning with a historical analogue gives depth and realism to your campaign world. But it is true that not everything should be transplanted for history into your fantasy world. I like that Legend is simplified - the feudal society is fairly pure, for example, and uncomplicated by the addition of hundreds and shires as would be the case in medieval England.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Kharille wrote:
Some professions were more acceptable. Royal astrologer. Maybe under that guise, they can still appear in public despite some rather strange interests?

I use the idea of "respectable" magicians - and it's purely a matter of social class. If you're a gentleman scholar with an extensive library filled to the brim with works of dark thaumaturgy, but you have the right friends, you'll be considered a philosopher and a font of wisdom. Nobles (even churchmen) will seek your counsel.

The dodgy types wander around in ragged clothes talking to trees (or themselves). They're barely tolerated and often persecuted.

However; in game terms, both types will Shadowbolt you back into the stone age if you cross them.

That said, my players don't really go in for magic. Magic is more something that happens to them, and it's very rarely of the form seen in the books.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:40 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

I'd also like to stress that some, perhaps all, mediaeval magic (such as qabala) espoused the notion that magic actually arose from God so was anything but unholy. Perhaps in Legend they are right.

I think the Player's Guide adopted the correct, open stance on the subject. Prior to the book's release I was worried that it would take the burning pitchforks perspective which has become popular with some DW enthusiasts here and elsewhere, despite I think scant support from the original books.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:55 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
I'd also like to stress that some, perhaps all, mediaeval magic (such as qabala) espoused the notion that magic actually arose from God so was anything but unholy. Perhaps in Legend they are right.

I think the Player's Guide adopted the correct, open stance on the subject. Prior to the book's release I was worried that it would take the burning pitchforks perspective which has become popular with some DW enthusiasts here and elsewhere, despite I think scant support from the original books.

Even the Malleus Maleficarum acknowledged that witchcraft required consent from God, but it didn't do much to stop the witch-hunts in Europe (the publication of the MM had quite the opposite effect).

I liked the treatment given to sorcerers in the Knight's Tale - if they were sanctioned by a Lord, then they were OK (although the peasants might not like it); otherwise, they were just dangerous Devil-worshippers who deserved to be hunted by adventurers and burned at the stake (I'm oversimplifying, but you get the idea). I can recommend A Dangerous Enemy by John Whitbourne (and, in fact most of John Whitbourne's books) - essentially an ambitious fey-touched demon-summoning necromancer joins, and is sanctioned by, the church so becomes accepted by the civilised world (again, I'm oversimplifying - read the book, and others by JW and I promise you won't be disappointed!)

Different countries will have different cultural biases towards magic. However, in Ellesland, where magical practice is common among pagan religions on the island, it might have been a tactical play on the part of the church to denounce magic as deviltry in an attempt to weaken the pagan influence.

So long as the GM is consistent with his approach to magic in the game, and the players are aware of any (if any) consequences of using magic openly, then I say go for it. I tend to run a low-magic and low tolerance to magic campaigns, but equally enjoy campaigns set in more accepting societies (more as a player than as a GM, though). As for the Players' Guide - it's a very good publication, but I wouldn't go so far as to consider it canon. Yes, it's been published by the current licence-holders, but it wasn't penned by the original contributors to the game, so it has the same status to me as any of the rest of the fan-produced material out there.

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
So long as the GM is consistent with his approach to magic in the game, and the players are aware of any (if any) consequences of using magic openly, then I say go for it. I tend to run a low-magic and low tolerance to magic campaigns, but equally enjoy campaigns set in more accepting societies (more as a player than as a GM, though). As for the Players' Guide - it's a very good publication, but I wouldn't go so far as to consider it canon. Yes, it's been published by the current licence-holders, but it wasn't penned by the original contributors to the game, so it has the same status to me as any of the rest of the fan-produced material out there.

Just for the record, Dave Morris was involved with the Players Guide.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide