Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:20 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Apart from obvious currencies and precious metals how would you go about helping adventurers liquidate their excess hardware? I think after a few combats the players have probably kept the best items they've looted but if they were far away from major cities, how would they get rid of an excess of ironmongery? I figure a smith can only handle so much stuff which becomes worthless to him after you've flogged off a lot on him.

Can a peasant make use of arms in their farms? I'd imagine sometimes villagers would run out of things to trade and might give you a chicken for your daggers you looted.

And how would you run a fence? I'd suppose any trader or merchant might be willing to buy some of your stuff off you. And if you don't have time to sell your goods, I'd imagine you'd drop off that spare ring mail with the smith for maybe 5% of its value, just so that you can get out of town.

What about precious gems? To get the full value I'd say you'd need to find enough rich nobles who just so happen to be shopping, otherwise it could take months. Has anyone taken the trading system to a higher level of complexity? If so, care to share your experiences?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:44 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
Apart from obvious currencies and precious metals how would you go about helping adventurers liquidate their excess hardware? I think after a few combats the players have probably kept the best items they've looted but if they were far away from major cities, how would they get rid of an excess of ironmongery? I figure a smith can only handle so much stuff which becomes worthless to him after you've flogged off a lot on him.

Maybe they can't. If you're away from major cities, the market (in the economic theory sense) probably can't realise the true value of the goods you've hauled. This could make for some major logistical headaches while the party tries to pull together a few mules to transport their treasure to the nearest large community, not to mention the risk of banditry. And that smith is working in a feudal economy and must consider the local lord before entering into any deals with vagabonds carrying goods of uncertain provenance.

Quote:
Can a peasant make use of arms in their farms? I'd imagine sometimes villagers would run out of things to trade and might give you a chicken for your daggers you looted.

I doubt that serfs would be allowed to own military equipment (daggers, spears, bows etc would be OK).

Quote:
What about precious gems? To get the full value I'd say you'd need to find enough rich nobles who just so happen to be shopping, otherwise it could take months. Has anyone taken the trading system to a higher level of complexity? If so, care to share your experiences?

My efforts to expand on the trade of magical items met with a harsh reception on this forum. Not that I'm bitter :evil:

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:04 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Harsh response? Got a link? Don't understand why people would get hostile to that. Always good to throw ideas around, no need to cut people down for expressing themselves.

Interesting topic, has it got its own thread?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:37 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I'm exaggerating. Anyway it was on the old mailing list.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Yes, I know the last post on this thread was in 2016! :roll:

When dealing with treasure/loot/&c., it’s worth remembering that the characters in Dragon Warriors live and operate in a mostly feudal society (unless you're running a campaign in the southern lands of Legend, or somewhere off the map – e.g. Thousand Islands). This has certain implications on how they might behave.

I found the following section in one of the King Arthur Pendragon RPG books and found it covers this particular issue:

<<
ROYAL PERQUISITES
(Perquisites – "perqs" – are the rights, payments, and other incidentals that come with an office.)
Some rights are personal to the king and are never granted to others. Money from these sources go right to the king's coffers. These include:
Treasure Trove: the king owns all buried gold treasure that is found, and half of the silver.
Wreck: the contents of all ships that wash ashore belong to the king. Whales are included in this because they are "royal beasts."
Seizure of a Felon's Goods: a convicted felon is punished personally, and everything he owns is given to the king.
Deodand: any object that causes the death of a person (a wagon, mule, pitchfork, etc.) is given to the Crown to be sold. The proceeds finance the King's Almoner, and thus benefit the poor.
This means that a local lord will ensure the king's rights are maintained, declaring any goods to the County Reeve (or "Sheriff"). Thus all treasure found on a lord's lands must be declared to the lord, who will then declare it to the king through his appointed official.
>>

Of these rights, Treasure Trove has the most significant impact on adventurers in Legend; as if they find treasure on a lord's land, they are obliged to declare it and hand it over. If they fail to do this, they are stealing from the lord and, ultimately, from the king (and may thus be treated as thieves).

In practice,* up to half the value of the treasure will usually be returned to the adventurers (thus encouraging honesty and the possibility of further treasure finds). Note that this does not have to happen and is generosity on the part of the king, who is well within his rights to keep all the gold (as noted above).

Some, less honest, adventurers will tend to hide some or all of any treasure they find. This is one of the many reasons why adventurers are regarded with distrust by folk living in "normal" society (and why honest adventurers may find themselves having to defend the provenance of their equipment).

Note that magical treasure (unless it is made of gold or silver) does not form part of Treasure Trove* and, while it must be declared if found on a lord's lands, remains the property of the finder. A lord seizing such treasure as his may find himself subject to a grievance…

It shouldn't take a devious individual too much thought to realise how these rights can be abused! :twisted:

* These are guidelines I use to keep the game entertaining for my players. Harsher, or more lenient, GMs may come up with their own guidelines, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Good to know. I remember I picked up the pendragon bundle a while back and I still haven't even done my 5 minute skimming. Spend more time backing up my soft copies than reading it.

Hey, theres an idea for a supplement. The amount of tax collection that wild adventurer bands would be subjected to. I'm sure the local authorities might want to search them for 'stolen' goods and to remove stuff belonging to the King. Maybe knowing that adventurers are in the area might subject them to 'extra taxation'. Maybe a supplement on bribes and society might make the knave profession more useful in any party.

One of my bosses used to comment that talking to me was like talking to a lawyer. Can't be helped, there are other perspectives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:33 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
I still haven't even done my 5 minute skimming.

They're worth reading. King Arthur Pendragon is one of those rare games where a lot of research has been done and has a lot of background material... Research and material which can be quite easily applied to the world of Legend.
(My games have been greatly assisted/influenced by the King Arthur Pendragon rpg.)

Quote:
Hey, theres an idea for a supplement. The amount of tax collection that wild adventurer bands would be subjected to. I'm sure the local authorities might want to search them for 'stolen' goods and to remove stuff belonging to the King. Maybe knowing that adventurers are in the area might subject them to 'extra taxation'. Maybe a supplement on bribes and society might make the knave profession more useful in any party.

Possibly. I find that adventurers generally (never mind "wild" ones) don't fit in nicely with the established order of things around them. A knight (or man at arms) might have been sent to investigate an event and would then return to his manor, but most adventuring parties (in my experience) simply move from inn to inn without roots or responsibilities... This means they're seen as outsiders, without the same duties and rules as everyone around them... and thus dangerous.

I would think the attitude of people towards your characters would depend (among other things) on how tough they are, their reputation, and their recent actions. Of course, the peasants' "heroes" might be the lord's "dangerous subversives"...

Quote:
One of my bosses used to comment that talking to me was like talking to a lawyer. Can't be helped, there are other perspectives.

That's not necessarily a bad thing - it depends how steep your legal fees are... ;)