Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:47 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Didn't the Selentine waste Gatanades?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:11 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
What you talkin' bout Willis?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:08 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

All professions tremble before the sappers! The selentine built stuff to overcome everything!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:57 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

WodenKrait wrote:
That might require the invention of the printing press. If Sorcery could garnish some positive public relations (in the same way the protestant faiths of the 16th century did) they could avoid being stamped out by the combined True Faith establishment.

On the other hand, I wonder what would happen if a faction of sorcerers set themselves up as a separate nation in some fertile, defensible location. Militarily, a few thousand sorcerers could trounce just about any mundane force sent against them, and a siege would be useless against a force who could create Banquets at will, Miracle Cure any diseases that broke out, and Scry all your plans against them. An enemy would need to field their own force of magic users to counter the fledgling nation of Sorceria. A task force of Mystics using Intangibility, Mindpool, Swiftness, Might, Steel Claw, and Teleport would make incredible commandos...

The mind boggles!

Cheers,

-Kyle

I was thinking more of a Tower of Sorcery that floats up in the sky, or one that is hidden and cannot be found by unfriendly eyes. Something more mysterious than a nation of Sorcerers. :D

The Mystic commandos idea sounds real cool! Except when they run out of juice...;D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:02 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Kharille wrote:
All professions tremble before the sappers! The selentine built stuff to overcome everything!

Hey Kharille I read your very brief description of the Sapper profession. I was just wondering what would make a skilled engineer like that take to adventuring as an engineer?

I could see it if he decides to adventure as a sellsword, or perhaps a thief, or even an assassin. Or perhaps he could hire himself out to the next lord who's preparing for war...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Maybe the local lord doesn't have a budget for sappers. Maybe logistics went bad and they got shoddy materials that meant that they were fired without pay. The monotony of building sanitation ditches and not getting recognition for their contributions would drive them to move on, grab their shovels and go find riches elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:20 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

I can see a sapper excavating an old tomb in search of riches, but not really adventuring in the FRP sense. For instance, what would a sapper be able to contribute to any of the "classic" scenarios, in other words the adventures currently in Sleeping Gods, The Elven Crystals, and Prince of Darkness?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:21 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

The sapper is the master of terrain. He has to think ahead, weaken structures, create breaches, disrupt floor integrity and bring the ceiling down on the enemy. Haven't gone through sleeping gods but theres so many structures that they can use against enemies, felling trees and all. If you're looking for inspiration, see the predator movie where all the traps seem to be more successful against the party than the predator, or Hannibal in the A team. We're short on terrain rules so a lot is down to GM improvisation, but the sapper can truly be the leader of the group. The Selentine legions knew enough to conquer any obstacle.... Think of Masada, or Hadrians wall which was built to keep the ginger nuts out of the empire....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Your examples are I think instances of why sappers would be useful (crucial, even) in a military force, but not in an adventuring party. Most of the time adventuring involves continuous movement, the requirement to travel light, a lack of information about one's surroundings, a shortage of manpower, and a need to be able to respond quickly to threats or other challenges. The strengths of the sapper do not play to these requirements at all (in fact I'd say they are the opposite), so I suspect that most of the time the sapper you brought along on (say) A Shadow on the Mist would be about as useful as a hotblood.

Can anybody else think of any situations in the published adventures where a sapper would have been able to solve a challenge using their skills? I'm certainly not saying there aren't any but they do seem to be few and far between.

If you were playing anti-Dragon Warriors, where the players take up the role of the monsters and crazy wizards who's lair the adventurers are invading then I think the sapper would be a great asset, however.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:24 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Well, yeah, if all the players behave like a fast moving, mobile scout force. In some situations the Knights would be dismounted and so missing one of their greatest assets as cavalrymen. Its up to the sappers to be creative same way as sorcerors are.

In Shadow on the Mist they can create defensive locations where they can retreat to... Maybe they can create snares to slow down enemies... Also think of all the traps and mechanical devices that they can cleverly disarm or use to turn against their creators....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next