A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Dreadnought wrote:
It took a little longer than I expected - but the draft of my map of all of Ellesland is up at:

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/ElleslandDraft.PNG

Of course, this is not a definitive, official map of Ellesland - it's just the map of the country as it is in my campaign. But I have done my best to include virtually everything I could find in the official rulebooks, on the Wiki, in Ordo Draconis, and in maps done by other GMs (including some on these forums).

Comments appreciated - especially if you can see any mistakes... I'm eventually going to get this printed at poster size (it's designed to be at least A3 in size and better at A2).

8-)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Dreadnought wrote:
Comments appreciated - especially if you can see any mistakes... I'm eventually going to get this printed at poster size (it's designed to be at least A3 in size and better at A2).

Speaking as someone with first-hand experience of how hard these large-scale maps can be to produce, I think this is amazing, Deadnought. Were I not so busy with dragonwarriors.uk, it'd motivate me to finish my own map of Southern Albion (the only, I think, missing piece in my Ellesland jigsaw).

My only comment is that the sheet effects seem to have blurred the settlement names and roads to the point that they are a little indistinct in parts - this may simply be because of the rendering resolution (high-resolution maps can take forever to render in the old CC3 - not tried CC3+ yet, which I think is multi-threaded and might even be 64-bit). But I'm being picky - it's an excellent map and must be a great gaming aid for your group.

:double-thumbs:

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:

Speaking as someone with first-hand experience of how hard these large-scale maps can be to produce, I think this is amazing, Deadnought. Were I not so busy with dragonwarriors.uk, it'd motivate me to finish my own map of Southern Albion (the only, I think, missing piece in my Ellesland jigsaw).

My only comment is that the sheet effects seem to have blurred the settlement names and roads to the point that they are a little indistinct in parts - this may simply be because of the rendering resolution (high-resolution maps can take forever to render in the old CC3 - not tried CC3+ yet, which I think is multi-threaded and might even be 64-bit). But I'm being picky - it's an excellent map and must be a great gaming aid for your group.

:double-thumbs:

Yes - when I produce a final version, I'm going to probably turn off the blurring for the text, and while I like the blur for the roads, I think i need to start with darker roads.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:00 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Dreadnought wrote:
It took a little longer than I expected - but the draft of my map of all of Ellesland is up at:

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/ElleslandDraft.PNG

Of course, this is not a definitive, official map of Ellesland - it's just the map of the country as it is in my campaign. But I have done my best to include virtually everything I could find in the official rulebooks, on the Wiki, in Ordo Draconis, and in maps done by other GMs (including some on these forums).

Hi! A bit busy , I have not answered your previous post yet. But I am going to take a look immediately to your map ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Dreadnought wrote:

Sorry for my poor english
it is a very good map. Is is especially focused on Albion as you said.
I regret just few things ( you asked it, :) ) .
I guess you were not allowed to post a higher full resolution map . May you use a dropbox , so we could download it please?
Upper than Lackstead I still expected Pagan mountains range and not some hills.
On the seashore at the west of "The Umber downs", I regret there is no village or town.
The small island on the south of Albony should deserve a village, ;).
Some names of places are diificult to read when they are located above the forest or the vindar hills or pagan mountains etc...(maybe we could write in white capital letters? )
The Coronash marsh just splits Cornumbria into 2 parts with no village or town or road inside. (I know you were more focused on Albion, :) )

I am going to do a second post for an extra comment, ;)

Last edited by hermes421 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

In the dragon warriors wiki about the center of Albion I found it :
Centre
"Wistren Wood lies in north-central Albion*, situated south-west of the town of Hesard's Ford* and Pillaton*; directly south of Igham* and east of Scardic*.

Somewhere hidden deep within the wood, lies the mysterious Tenebron Hall^ and it's evil master, Lord Tenebron^. Beneath the wood, a network of subterranean chambers and passageways protects the lair of the Vampire* lord.

The wood comprised the opening scene of Dave Morris' first Golden Dragon^ gamebook, "Crypt of the Vampire"^. Little is said of the wood itself in the gamebook, except that the mushrooms growing naturally in the wood are said to be invested with magical powers."

I suppose you did not use it in your own campaign? No reproach, just to be sure ^^.

Finally , I found your map great (I will ask somebody to do one because I can t do as well as you ) . I will use lots of names and material inside probably (dont be surprised). I hope many game masters who have no map will use yours. It would be very nice again if you use a Dropbox for donwloading in a higher full resolution your map, :)
All have a good week !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hermes421 wrote:
Sorry for my poor english
it is a very good map. Is is especially focused on Albion as you said.
I regret just few things ( you asked it, :) ) .
I guess you were not allowed to post a higher full resolution map . May you use a dropbox , so we could download it please?

At the moment, this is still a draft - partly so I can correct any problems with it that people like you identify. When it's finally finished (which will be before Christmas) I will make a larger resolution version available.

hermes421 wrote:
Upper than Lackstead I still expected Pagan mountains range and not some hills.

The back in Book 4, replicated in Sleeping Gods, indicates hills rather than mountains in roughly the vicinity I've placed them there. The necessity for a road through the area seemed to make that even more likely.

hermes421 wrote:
On the seashore at the west of "The Umber downs", I regret there is no village or town.

That's a deliberate decision on my part. I regard the Umber Downs as basically a wasteland, that extends pretty much to the western shore. It explains why the hills are the colours they are. There might be small settlements on that coast, but they'd be too small to be on the map. This is not a map of every settlement in Ellesland - using the Doomsday Book as a model (which I did) there would be at least 5000 named settlements across Albion alone. To be on the map something has to be reasonably significant.

hermes421 wrote:
The small island on the south of Albony should deserve a village, ;).

Absolutely - the only reason it doesn't have one yet - as I said, this is a draft - is that I am 99% sure I mapped that island at some point for a game. And I can't currently find that map :) I need to go through all my backup harddrives to see if I can find it. I plan to do that this week. I didn't want to map that bit and then feel I needed to change it, but I'd already run a game with different names. If I can't find the original map, I will do that bit again.

hermes421 wrote:
Some names of places are diificult to read when they are located above the forest or the vindar hills or pagan mountains etc...(maybe we could write in white capital letters? )

That again is part of the reason for the draft - to see how the colours and fonts I've chosen work or don't work. I'll be fiddling around with that - mostly with the colours - to find something that works better on both screen and paper. The names will also not be blurred the way they are on the final map - that was an effect I don't like for the text, the first time I'd tried it.

hermes421 wrote:
The Coronash marsh just splits Cornumbria into 2 parts with no village or town or road inside. (I know you were more focused on Albion, :) )

Again, that's deliberate on my part. I don't think there'd be any large settlements in the marsh. It also creates something of a distinction between Northern Cornumbria (which I regard as equivalent to Wales) and Southern Cornumbria (which I see as more equivalent to Cornwall).

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hermes421 wrote:
In the dragon warriors wiki about the center of Albion I found it :
Centre
"Wistren Wood lies in north-central Albion*, situated south-west of the town of Hesard's Ford* and Pillaton*; directly south of Igham* and east of Scardic*.

Somewhere hidden deep within the wood, lies the mysterious Tenebron Hall^ and it's evil master, Lord Tenebron^. Beneath the wood, a network of subterranean chambers and passageways protects the lair of the Vampire* lord.

The wood comprised the opening scene of Dave Morris' first Golden Dragon^ gamebook, "Crypt of the Vampire"^. Little is said of the wood itself in the gamebook, except that the mushrooms growing naturally in the wood are said to be invested with magical powers."

I suppose you did not use it in your own campaign? No reproach, just to be sure ^^.

Actually Tenebron Hall does exist in my campaign world and I did read through the Gamebook and considered putting Tenebron Hall on the map.

But in the end, based on its description in the book, it seems too small to me, and too unknown, to appear on a map of this scale.

I can easily add it if people disagree with that - but that was my call.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Dreadnought wrote:

hermes421 wrote:

That's a deliberate decision on my part. I regard the Umber Downs as basically a wasteland, that extends pretty much to the western shore. It explains why the hills are the colours they are. There might be small settlements on that coast, but they'd be too small to be on the map. This is not a map of every settlement in Ellesland - using the Doomsday Book as a model (which I did) there would be at least 5000 named settlements across Albion alone. To be on the map something has to be reasonably significant.

hermes421 wrote:

Again, that's deliberate on my part. I don't think there'd be any large settlements in the marsh. It also creates something of a distinction between Northern Cornumbria (which I regard as equivalent to Wales) and Southern Cornumbria (which I see as more equivalent to Cornwall).

Hi Shaun!
Concerning the Umber Downs, it looks like , in my humble opinion, a too large area as a wasteland (coastal areas not too cold are often rich and crowdy) . But this is your campaign :) , and often yours choices are interesting ^^ . Do you have a link to a review of the "Doomsday Book" please?

About Cornumbria regarded as Wales and Cornwall , is it credible people regard this more as Ireland , as neighbor of england with problems of religion (especially at 16th century : ok we play between 1000 and 1350 )?.

ps : with the years I suppose you created a background and some maps in Ellesland , and I would be very happy to enjoy it :)

Have a good day!!