Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:29 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Warlock
Many years ago, when my father got Dragon Warriors, he made some house rules concerning weapon groups that i would like to share.
The new weapon groups are

Level 1 groups:
I.(a) Dagger, shortsword
II.(a) Cudgel
III. Unarmed
IV Shield
V. Crossbow
VI.(a) Sling and thrown arms
VII.(a) Staff
VIII.(a) Shortbow

Level 2 groups:
I.(b) Sword
II.(b) Mace
VII.(b) Spear
VI.(b) Javelin
VIII.(b) Longbow

Level 3 groups:
VII.(c) Halberd
IX. Flail, morning star
X. Two hand sword
XI. Battleaxe

If you fight with a weapon from a weapon group you do not own, you get -1 ATT and -1 DEF for each level you are beneath it. Fx. An untrained sorcerer will fight with a battleaxe at -3 both ATT & DEF.
To be able to fight optimally with a weapon, you must purchase that weapon group with weapon-group points. The price of a group is equal to it's level. Some groups have different stages. Fx. Group I(a) and group I(b). If you alredy own group I(a) you get a 1 point discount on group I(b). Unlocking group I(b) will also automatically unlock group I(a). If you have a lower stage of a group you also reduce the penalty. Fx. A barbarian with weapon group VII(a) will fight with a halberd (VII(c)) at -2 ATT & DEF. Groups can also be purchased partially. You can fx. spend 2 points in group XI and you will only fight at -1 ATT & DEF.
These weapon-group points are given based on profession and rank.
Knight and Barbarian has 3 points pr rank
Mystic, assasin and warlock has 2 points pr rank.
Sorcerer and elementalist has 1 point pr rank up to rank 4.

Nicolas Northstar is a 2. rank knight, and wishes to fight with sword, longbow and flail. He has 6 (3*2) points to spend. He spends two point to get weapon group I(b). Now he can fight with sword, shortsword and dagger without penalty. He then spends 3 points to get weapon group IX, allowing him to fight with flail and morning star. He is now left with one point, so he decides to purchace group VIII(a), allowing him to fight with shortbow, and reducing the penalty for fighting with longbow. When he reaches rank 3 it will cost just one point to get weapon group VIII(b).

Notes:
Longbow is a new weapon with stats D8/4 and range 0-50/51-125/126-250
We have a houserule about shields. They no longer give that 1/6 chance for a block, but they give defence. An untrained character will get +1 def, a trained will get +2 and a knight with expert parry will get one additional defence from it.

If there is anything in these rules you don't understand or just want to know more about, please ask.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Its good. More refinements and alternative look at the rules. Just like we might want to somehow revise the archery rules but not too cumbersome or complex.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:45 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Warlock
The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for leveling up, and making the characters feel more personal.

I have considered adding rules for Weapon group mastery, allowing players to purchase a weapon group they already own for the original price, to master that weapon group. Fighting with a weapon you master will grant a +1 ATT & DEF bonus.
I also think it would make shortswords and maces more interesting, while having worse stats than the sword/flail, they are easier to master and may be preferred by low level characters.

What are your thoughts on weapon mastery?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
If its not too cumbersome and reflects actual medieval circumstances it would be great. Sometimes I wonder why don't everyone just go for two handed swords. Having a system where a peasant gives preference for staves and cudgels over two handed swords would be good and add to realism.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:49 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
If its not too cumbersome and reflects actual medieval circumstances it would be great. Sometimes I wonder why don't everyone just go for two handed swords. Having a system where a peasant gives preference for staves and cudgels over two handed swords would be good and add to realism.

There's the social context to consider, too, not just the game mechanics that might favour one weapon over another. Swords would have been the province of knights, soldiers, outlaws, and their ilk - certainly not peasants (assuming they could even afford them). Peasants would fight with whatever they had to hand - farm tools, knives, etc. Even owning a martial weapon could get a peasant into trouble (and the blacksmith that made it for them). So where does this leave adventurers? Almost always on the wrong side of the law... But that's what makes for the best adventures!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!