A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Hi!
We have a lot of useful maps on the Cobwebbed forest website and on the wiki.

But unfortunately it s not enough if we want a full detailed Ellesland (big villages, towns, cities, towers, castles and so on).
A semi-professional cartographer (only one area map, but beautiful. If you tell me how to post it here, I will) proposes me to draw one (it s not cheap, but ok).

It would be very nice and awesome if you could send me your local maps in Ellesland and you campaigns and scenarii (for the name of places and of the lords)
I know Shaun has one of Breylak and its surrounding, in the Wiki there is a part of Cornombria...

It would be great if the Dragon warriors players could share their contents (even if it is a picture of their notes).

My email is brice.pitre@laposte.net

I will be grateful for it

Last edited by hermes421 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Shaun?

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:42 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
If you don't already have them, I'd recommend getting a copy of Ordo Draconis 1 for a map of the County of Anglicia and Ordo Draconis 2 for Cornumbria. Ordo Draconis is now free on DriveThruRPG (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/792 ... Draconis-2). I couldn't find Ordo Draconis 1 , so you might have to hunt around the Internet for that.

As for local maps, there's nothing special about Ellesland on the small scale, so any online map repository will invariably have maps that you can pilfer for villages, shires, ruins, etc. I can recommend Wizards of the Coast's Map-a-Week archive for inspiration - http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp? ... archiveall. They're mostly dungeon maps, but there are plenty of overland maps and maps of structures, too, that would suit an Elleslandic setting. Profantasy's galleries and forums are also worth a browse.

Shaun created an excellent (I'd go so far as to say exceptional) series of maps and information on Ongus, the capital of Ellesland - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68 and there is even a map or two of Brymstone floating around, too, although that supplement is currently now unlikely to be published soon.

Does anyone else have any inspiring repositories of maps they use in their games?

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Thank you Lee , I ll take a look on the website.

For Ongus, Shaun did a great work. If people have homemade maps about ellesland places, feel free to send it (if they are drawings you can scan it), :).

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
I do have a map of Ellesland that is about 80% finished. It's been a slow process. I can try and get it finished in the near future, but I'm behind on so many projects.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have put up a high resolution copy of my map of the Barony of Breylak at:

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/BaronyOfBreylak.PNG

And the town of White Cliffs (in that Barony at):

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/TownOfWhiteCliffs.PNG

I don't have time to do proper webpages for them right now. School holidays in about two weeks.

I've located my nearly completed map of Ellesland (or at least the Ellesland of my campaign)... it's closer to finished than I thought. Health permitting... I might even get that finished in a few days. It would be nice to finish a project.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Dreadnought wrote:
I have put up a high resolution copy of my map of the Barony of Breylak at:

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/BaronyOfBreylak.PNG

And the town of White Cliffs (in that Barony at):

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/TownOfWhiteCliffs.PNG

I don't have time to do proper webpages for them right now. School holidays in about two weeks.

I've located my nearly completed map of Ellesland (or at least the Ellesland of my campaign)... it's closer to finished than I thought. Health permitting... I might even get that finished in a few days. It would be nice to finish a project.

8-)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Great ! Thank you (especially for Breylak area).

If I agree with the cartographer, I will order a map.
I took informations on the dragon warriors wiki. One member wanted to inegrate the manor of a vampire in the center of Albony (golden dragon book) indicating a wood and 4 towns. I will try to integrate it.
If you did not the same , I will see your map.

I must confess I would like to see the limits of the duchies and counties in the map (or maybe a second map) . For me, Baron Aldred should be a duke (his lands are so extended...) and Baron grisaille a count (baron is the smallest title when you are noble...).
The idea popped up when I played a rather famous video game , crusader kings 2 where you see everything : nobles story, and the limits of their fiefs, the king s landings , etc
Nothing is done, but if I pay a map , I would like to have a nice result, :)
I am eager to see your map, I am sure you have done a great job, and we should take some inspiration from it.

Have a good end of week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hermes421 wrote:
I must confess I would like to see the limits of the duchies and counties in the map (or maybe a second map) . For me, Baron Aldred should be a duke (his lands are so extended...) and Baron grisaille a count (baron is the smallest title when you are noble...).

That's true in terms of the modern peerage, and, of course, you are free to do what you wish in your own campaign, but if we consider that Albion is based on medieval England (which I think is a given), I have loosely based the conception of noble titles in my games on what was in place in England during the early middle ages.

And the noble titles in use were more limited than they are now.

The title of Duke only really came into use in England in the 1300s and was initially only given to royal Princes. The idea of Duke as a particular noble title is even later in England. In my own Dragon Warriors campaign, I have two Dukes in Albion - and both of those are titles created fairly recently by the King for very specific reasons. Neither hold large amounts of land of their own - but they have a lot of Barons as vassals who have to pay a fee to them.

The title of Earl does have an older history in England, but again in my campaign, I've limited it to quite a small number in Albion - there are eight of them. The original Earls in my campaign were Barons who were promoted by the King to serve as overlords for particular regions - the current Earl Montombre's grandfather was made Earl in an attempt to bring the squabbling northern barons under some sort of overall authority - it didn't work (Aldred and Grissaile both utterly refuse to accept Montombre's authority and are powerful enough to do so). It has had somewhat more success in the south.

The most common landed title by far is Baron - I have about sixty of those. Some are immensely powerful and hold large amounts of territory -Aldred, in particular, is one of the three greatest landholders in the country - others hold much smaller territories. These Barons do not regard their titles as being in any way, minor. Aldred, in particular, would not want to be an Earl or a Duke - he's proud that his family have been Barons for centuries, unlike these newer titles (he is somewhat annoyed that Montombre technically outranks him by some measures - in all honesty, he'd probably get on better with Montombre if Montombre stopped using the title.)

(I also have Court Barons in my campaign - basically people who are given the rank of Baron by the King but don't get any land to go with it - these mostly work in and around the capital in various official roles - they get the rank so they can deal with other nobles as near equals and will be listened to by other people - but the title is generally not passed on when they die - although their immediate offspring remain the children of a Baron which has some status, with the boys nearly always being Knighted and the girls being referred to as 'Lady' (the girls can also seek to be knighted if they bear arms as trained warriors)

In my own games, there also aren't firm borders for baronies, etc - at least not ones you can easily draw a line on a map for. It's more about feudal control of particular towns and villages. As an example - in my campaign, there are two villages, West Erin and East Erin, about 8 miles apart. Everybody currently agrees that West Erin belongs to Aldred, and East Erin belongs to Montombre - but nobody would be able to say exactly where the border between them is. If you asked Aldred, he'd say his territory extends right up to the edge of East Erin. Montrombre would say his territory extends right up to the edge of West Erin.

My map is nearly ready to share - maybe even later today.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It took a little longer than I expected - but the draft of my map of all of Ellesland is up at:

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/ElleslandDraft.PNG

Of course, this is not a definitive, official map of Ellesland - it's just the map of the country as it is in my campaign. But I have done my best to include virtually everything I could find in the official rulebooks, on the Wiki, in Ordo Draconis, and in maps done by other GMs (including some on these forums).

Comments appreciated - especially if you can see any mistakes... I'm eventually going to get this printed at poster size (it's designed to be at least A3 in size and better at A2).

Shaun Hately