A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Knave
Hey gang,

I'm running a group through the Elven Crystals and they will soon be climbing the tower to meet the Duke himself. Does anyone have any advice on how to run that encounter, or can you let me know how it went when you did it? I can see the PCs getting splatted by a high level sorceror spell...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Duke Darian has tiny hitpoints and very bad reflexes. As long as the PCs go first, they win. If they stumble into the rune they will lose one PC bit the oyhrrs should be able to take Darian down fairly easily.

Or, play up the fact that is a senile bug-fuck insane old badtard and have him cast random spells. :-D

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:55 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
NickDaniel wrote:
I'm running a group through the Elven Crystals and they will soon be climbing the tower to meet the Duke himself. Does anyone have any advice on how to run that encounter, or can you let me know how it went when you did it? I can see the PCs getting splatted by a high level sorceror spell...

There was a very long thread about this on Yahoo (search for 'Smoking Boots', I think) that even went down into the detail of who should step where and do what each round, so none of that's worth repeating here. The two things in the PCs' favour are Darian's low Reflexes score (5) and low Health (6). If the PCs can get close enough quickly enough, Darian is dead before he's even had a chance to cast a spell. If Darian does get a chance to pop off a spell, his best bet is either something like Bastion (to give him some time to layer on some magical protection), Astral Gate to teleport away, or Transform to turn into a small bird and fly out of the window. You now have a recurring villain to plague the PCs every now and again.

If you decide that Darian will stay and fight (and the text does suggest that running away is not something Darian would do), the PCs should not group together to give Darian an easy target for a Firestorm spell, for example. I like the combination of Bastion and Invisibility. Drop the bastion to reclaim half the MPs and the PCs may think Darian has escaped and focus on the freeing their friends from the pentacle, potentially turning their backs on the invisible, annoyed and dangerous Duke...

If Darian manages to get off a spell, one or more of the PCs is likely to die and you should be prepared for that. High-level sorcery is pretty effective against rambunctious adventurers that have already been worn down by the trials of reaching the top of the tower. Combat might only last a round or two, but Darian could do a lot of damage in that time!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:49 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Imagine a sapper in the party. I'm sure he can demolish the structure and bring Darian down the hard way....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:19 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the spells. Time moves pretty slowly in my gaming life so 'soon' may not be for another week or two.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

I searched through the yahoo group and found some interesting stuff about this. Also learnt a new acronym;TPK! Looking at the scenario again that is a likely outcome, unless the PCs can kill him in the first round.

Some questions for the learned wise:
1. The rulebook says the pentacle is 5m across, this must put it on the floor of Darian's tower top room. So the first PC climbs up, sees it and gets transported and trapped in it. Can they cast spells and/or shoot out of it? I'm guessing not.
2.If Darian casts a Bastion spell and erects a wall does it block his sight of the party? Then he can't see them to cast more spells at them.
3. He has a Ring of Teleportation that he won't use! Wtf! Surely he would zip down to his shrine in the dungeon, or go and get some more black riders?
4. Darian has only a few magic points left (presumably he has renewed his pentacle and done some other nasty magics that day like scrying - re-watching the murders of his brother's family in the woods?) and low hp and reflaxes (explained by his age and doppelganger?) so he shouldn't he be either better prepared or ready to flee?
5. Can the doppelganger talk?

This encounter looks a bit crazy, especially for a low level party. That is true for a lot of the Elven Crystals, although playing through it has been a LOT of fun!

I'm considering planning the whole encounter, so the whole party gets entrapped or something and the spear from the hell glade files through the air by itself and impales the old loonie. Justice (revenge) is finally served.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:48 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

NickDaniel wrote:
I searched through the yahoo group and found some interesting stuff about this. Also learnt a new acronym;TPK! Looking at the scenario again that is a likely outcome, unless the PCs can kill him in the first round.

You might be right. If not a TPK, then at least someone is likely to die...

NickDaniel wrote:
1. The rulebook says the pentacle is 5m across, this must put it on the floor of Darian's tower top room. So the first PC climbs up, sees it and gets transported and trapped in it. Can they cast spells and/or shoot out of it? I'm guessing not.

Once in the pentacle, you can still act, but are powerless to leave the pentacle. Whilst the spell description is not clear on this point, I would argue that anyone trapped within is unable to affect anyone outside the pentacle. As it can affect 2d6 people, you could easily find the whole party trapped in the pentacle...
NickDaniel wrote:
2.If Darian casts a Bastion spell and erects a wall does it block his sight of the party? Then he can't see them to cast more spells at them.

True. A Bastion completely blocks everything on both sides. Nothing in and nothing out. Bastions are great for giving a sorcerer some breathing time - cast some durational spells, or flee using an Astral Gate (astral gates do not go 'through' the Bastion - I think there's a FAQ to this effect somewhere).
NickDaniel wrote:
3. He has a Ring of Teleportation that he won't use! Wtf! Surely he would zip down to his shrine in the dungeon, or go and get some more black riders?
4. Darian has only a few magic points left (presumably he has renewed his pentacle and done some other nasty magics that day like scrying - re-watching the murders of his brother's family in the woods?) and low hp and reflaxes (explained by his age and doppelganger?) so he shouldn't he be either better prepared or ready to flee?

Don't forget the comment about Rimfax in the text - that might be a powerful motivator to stay and fight. However, I prefer to ignore that advice and create a recurring villain to harry the characters throughout their adventuring career. Darian will have a lot on his hands just avoiding the wrath of Rimfax (which the PCs may be able to use to help them finally defeat him when they've had enough of his interventions), so he won't crop up often, but he's unlikely to forget the role they played in his downfall.
NickDaniel wrote:
5. Can the doppelganger talk?

The spell description would have you believe not - the doppelganger has no knowledge skills (presumably that includes language), reason (so would not know how to respond in a conversation) or volition (so even if it could speak, it would not choose to). The doppelganger will, however, obey its creator's commands, so if the creator ordered the doppelganger to deliver a verbal message, because it is a physical copy of the caster and, presumably, therefore has the capability to speak, it could then talk. But for the reasons above, I would not expect the doppelganger to be able to hold its own in a conversation.

NickDaniel wrote:
I'm considering planning the whole encounter, so the whole party gets entrapped or something and the spear from the hell glade files through the air by itself and impales the old loonie. Justice (revenge) is finally served.

I like the idea of a narrative encounter, but don't deprive the characters of a chance to be involved in the dramatic denoeument, as they may feel cheated if they're not involved in Darian's final downfall. Consider giving the spear the power to deflect some of Darian's spells (or at least reduce the damage) to give the wielder a chance to get close to Darian to strike the killing blow. Maybe the wielder of the spear is immune to the pentacle of entrapment, etc. - that kinda thing that gives the character a 'reward' for having the spear, but still keeps them involved in the exciting finale!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:39 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Kharille wrote:
Imagine a sapper in the party. I'm sure he can demolish the structure and bring Darian down the hard way....

Sounds like a fun game session, but what kind of stealth penalty applies when you're chipping away at the stonework for a couple of days? I also notice there is no toilet in the floorplan for Darian's eyrie so I assume he'll pop down at some point to answer a call of nature and notice all these dudes lurking about messing with his perlins. "Are you supposed to be here? Let me see your work order!" he may well ask.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Once in the pentacle, you can still act, but are powerless to leave the pentacle. Whilst the spell description is not clear on this point, I would argue that anyone trapped within is unable to affect anyone outside the pentacle. As it can affect 2d6 people, you could easily find the whole party trapped in the pentacle...

This is exactly what happened the first time I ran this game, way back in the day. My players weren't exactly into the game by this stage anyway (it was one of the first scenarios I ever ran and I'd kind of tricked them into playing DW. Fair to say, I was a terrible GM in those days.) and when they all got trapped they pretty much said eff this shite and quit for good.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:06 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Mystic
Fights with high-rank sorcerers are often TPKs - I remember a tournament game back in the 1990s where an undead sorcerer has "hired" us to get him a macguffin or die. We had the macguffin, and we were trying to renegotiate the deal when the PC negotiating with the undead sorcerer let slip that we had the macguffin on us. One Nova later, and four of the six PCs were dead.

People have already mentioned Darian's weaknesses - his low Reflexes and his low hit points - but if your PCs go in, be prepared for some of them to die if you have Darian use his abilities efficiently.

Cheers,

Gary Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:17 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
WodenKrait wrote:

Sounds like a fun game session, but what kind of stealth penalty applies when you're chipping away at the stonework for a couple of days? I also notice there is no toilet in the floorplan for Darian's eyrie so I assume he'll pop down at some point to answer a call of nature and notice all these dudes lurking about messing with his perlins. "Are you supposed to be here? Let me see your work order!" he may well ask.

Well, that's if you want to take your time chipping away at the stonework. A high level sapper would've blocked up the sewage outlet, when the build up shows and poisonous gas spreads through the entire complex the sapper could light it and devastate the entire structure from the kitchens to the rest of the interior.

Oh, and what about that film Ironclad, if you kill enough Wadwos and incinerate their carcasses you can take any structure down...

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640