It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:16 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Coastal Thulandic dress:

Clothing:-

Whilst her ladyship prefers her hair with two long braids bound with ribbons in the fashion of the Highland clans, most higher ranked women wear a wimple of thin white gauze about their cheeks, chin and throat; with a chiffon veil tied over her head concealing all hair and hung to the floor.

His lordship wears very long mustaches, a beard cut in two points and long red hair falling on his shoulders. He uses two types of tunics, one long and the other short; the former worn sometimes underneath, when of a dark color; sometimes outside and slit open to the hips, revealing the inner tunic. Legstrappings reached to the knee with the upper part of leg bare, or dark woolen tights bound at the knee.

All cloaks are generally fastened to the shoulders with large circular ornaments.

Womens costume: a long tunic confined by a girdle at the waist, a mantle fastened in front by a large brooch of gold, silver or brass set with precious stones or the pebbles of the country, which when highly polished are very ornamental, owing to their varied colorings and crystal clearness. A stone known as the "cairngorm" has always been popular in Thuland.

A very ancient garment for women is known as the "arisaid", and is popular with all high born ladies, and merchants wives in Brymstone and Beltayne. It is checked, or striped—white with yellow, this capacious mantle trails on the floor unless its superfluous length is caught up about the waist; usually by a belt of leather trimmed with silver to resemble a chain; a plate about eight inches long by three wide, engraved or set with crystals or coral, was attached to the long ends of the tongue.

For noblemen or merchants a long-sleeved, saffron-stained shirt —the sleeves also enormously wide—is worn under a short woolen jacket with open sleeves. With "truis" or "trowse," a long wide pantaloon corded about the waist.

The Reavers often wear little but the plaid, a shaggy woolen rug thrown over the body and belted about the waist. The natural black and white wool of the sheep being utilized. The distinguishing coloured plaids of various clans are worn only by chieftains and their family.

For Peasants and poor folk little more than hose, a t-shaped tunic, hood or long dress, matched with a warm woolen cloak.

Shoes are plain turned leather.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:10 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Kildare Merchant Family Crest:

Your Laird:

A simple White Stag rampant on a red field.

Brymstone:

Beltayne:

The Reavers are identified by their individual tartans, very few of their 'kings' have embraced heraldry.

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:34 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Beltayne:

Sailing into Beltayne:

The bay becomes a fjord and finally a river; the paired fortresses of Crawdor and Morden squat on either side of the river mouth like ancient stony toads granite walls extend out someway into the river forming a chokepoint where catapults and trebuchets could make short work of a ship forced into the narrow gap.

Beyond them toward Beltayn itself lies the ancient battlefield of Pertbough Field and the haunting mist-choked Linnings Haugh on the north bank.

It is ruled over by Duke Carnasse who is generally absent in the warmer months at his manor house in the foothills of the Pagans but he winters within the city herself at the ancient Sewark Keep, the great square walls of which lie on the northern side of Trone Gait.

The massive St Marys Cathedral dominates the skyline of the city:

Gorbaldis is the great granite walled harbour and shipyards of the city linked to the main city by a high stone bridge of ancient work.

The ship sails slowly through the gap without incident or inspection and down the river until it comes level with the bridge and the quays that cluster about it.

New Vennel

Along the Trongate, on the right hand side; The
vennel (or alley) gives the townspeople of the burgh access to the Briggait or
the Bridge-gate. The Briggait is a lively place
full of tenements, taverns, small shops all jostling for space, where the
townspeople could learn news from the ships coming into the Clyde and where
goods would be brought in from abroad.

Trongate

Walking from the site of the New Vennel, along Trongate. The name of the
street takes its origins from the town's tron or wooden weighing beam;
situated to the south side of St Thenew's Gate, or 'Tron Gait'.

Tron Kirk

Coming along Trongate, on the right we can see the Tron Kirk, officially called St Marys.

St Anne

To the left of the Tron Kirk, looking right, down King Street, sits St Anne.
The church was established by James Telston, the sub-dean of St Marys cathedral
and was situated on the south of the Trongate. It is constructed of blocky stone and has a burial ground and gardens. The townspeople often attend the less imposing church rather than the Tron Kirk.

Steeple Cross

Continue along the Trongate, you will come to the Cross, where the Trongate, Walkergait, Saltmarket, and the Gallowgate meets - area of the weekly marketplace.

Stockwell gait is lined with private dwellings and a number of boarding houses; amongst them The Bracken, the Sands, Wolverlinger, Farleys Field.

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:17 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

A tall of the Gillbùrn River that runs through Beltayne, and Ol'Jenny what haunts it.

' The river?? Its a dark place now, too many secrets, too many bodies....'

' A story? Ok, we've got the time.'

' Legend tells us that a noble-woman was given a gold ring by her husband. But she gave it to a handsome warrior who caught her eye, and a few other body parts. But the Laird was suspicious and had her followed, once he knew who she'd been meeting he had the soldier captured and tortured before being executed, took the ring from him, threw it into the river and challenged his wife to produce the ring within one days time.

She made a pact with a strange priest, who was really Black Donald in disguise, who promised to return the ring in exchange for her first born. Desperate, she agreed.

Smiling the 'holy man' sat down on the river bank and cast in his line, almost immediately hauling up a fat salmon. He cut it open and pulled out the ring.

Seven months later the Laird and Lady announced the birth of their child......well it was hers at least.

The priest came calling and when the noble woman refused he spat on the floor and said, ' Then I cast you back in, as I should have your gold.'

She became wracked with a terrible pain and driving thirst and raced down to the river casting her self in to sink beneath its waters.......but her torment was not over.

Cursed by the Devil, lost to her child and husband she grew angry and twisted......

Folks blame her for everything bad that happens on the river, poor old thing.

Well, you've had a story lad.'

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

The Lords Road from Beltayne NW to Marrowglen:

The Lords Road to Marrowglen passes through a number of small hamlets including the hilltop Hightoun, marshy Merebodl and Bunessan which lay on a tributary.

Everywhere they passed peasant children, and at times their parents, who gawped at the two olive-skinned strangers with their ear-plugs but their smiles seemed friendly enough.

Folks tried to sell farm goods to the obviously wealthy travellers as they passed and the ponies were rested, watered and swapped when they came across a brookside meadow.

A haggard looking man approached them on the outskirts of Bunessan and attempted to wave them down as they passed.

' There is a sheriff, Robert Brunn, at Marrowglen, he represents our good lords power here.'

Tonkers Knob, A granite outcrop on the way to Marrowglen:

' Its said there was a great giant, Tonahgra or som'thing, hereabouts in the ancient days, he et up a lot of folks. One day after he'd et another village he lay down for a kip.'

' This blacksmith whose wife he'd eaten hiked all the way up the sleeping giant and drove his hammer through his stony skull. The giant died and became this rocky ridge......and, well, he was a boy giant........'

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Hi,
I found an other ressource for Thuland. One part is about the climate. It is well writen but I need help.
I would like to translate automatically, correct a bit, it would take 10 minutes maximum for a native English speaking person to correct it... (I don t imagine for me)
He could give me his opinion on it.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:05 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Marrowglen:

The path began the climb out of the valley heading for the hilltop fortress of the manor house, ahead they could see the outlying buildings beyond the ancient earthwork walls that surrounded the stone manor.

' His Honour Robert Brunn, holds these lands for The Laird, Duke Carnasse.'

Up to the manor via the steep muddy road, and past the main gates manned by four older men..

The manor was an imposing building up close, its martial aspect only slightly marred by the lines of washing at its side and the chickens roosting on the window sills. Behind the stone edifice can be noted rather ramshackle but solid looking buildings of aged timber.

To the right within the gate was a wood and daub reinforced blockhouse guarded by a man in full maille, an old man with a stump where his left leg should have been sat on a stool outside it.

The guards outside the outer door waved them through and the inner doors were opened directly into the audience hall.....

The hall is dark and cold, two large fires burn in open hearths at either end of it, the high chair dominates the room; a great high backed chair of old oak wood with two huge deerhounds lying either side of it.

Men-at-arms stood and sat around the edge of the room.

The man seated in the chair was tall with wide shoulders and an easy smile, but his eyes were hard.

Old Tales of Marrowglen:

" Theres a lot of tales all through the hills. Down west where the Brannts where slaughtered the entry road is haunted by the Bod-an-Dun, I know men who've spied the Fear Liath Mor among the peaks of the Pagans, there are fell fiddlers and pipers along the old roads and hounds out of hell pad the graveyards and crossroads. Marrowglen itself? Theres said to be lights upon the moors that'll lead a man to his doom, tales of Worms and their lairs among the peat and, of course, spooks, more lost souls than would fit in all the pits of hell."

" Though I've lived here me whole life and seen nought more than hoofprints on a shore which lead nowhere but the depths."

" But you never know."

Near to Marrowglen lies Saint Kennog's Cairn.

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:50 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

MacFhearchair family crest: on a chapeau Gules furred Ermine, a demi-lion Gules holding in his dexter paw a sword Proper ( a gold lion upper half holding aloft a sword.) . They own a lot of sheep and trade in wool.

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Hello,

As a regional map , I use this map of Ellesland. It was done in 2001, by Jonas Eckerman I thin . As the pdf is protected , i did a screenshot for having jpeg and zoom on the Thuland region.

I think there are maybe a bit to many forests on katorheim on this map... Most of the clans don t live in the forests , I guess .

But maybe we could use a giant map of the region,and people may add the ideas they have : local maps, clans locations, roads story (we can a passage through the Pagan mountain to Glissom)..

Concerning Thuland, many people think it is a mix between Scotland but also the Denmark...

ok the picture is huge, in the preview :D , but if you download it, the size is reasonable :)

Tell me if you want i edit it

Attachments:
File comment: Thuland
Thuland.jpg
Thuland.jpg [ 1000.75 KiB | Viewed 5841 times ]
File comment: In 2001 by a fan
Ellesland_(reference) North.pdf [898.79 KiB]
Downloaded 304 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:44 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

North of Marrowglen:

The Lords Road north of Marrowglen is a rough affair, more often than not the piles of waystones are the only indication they are still on it.

Tomintoul:

Up ahead they saw a small wooden thatched mound-like structure on the hillside surrounded by a sizeable herd of coos, penned in by a simple wooden fence.

On the summit was the main building: a solid broch, a great round structure of stone surrounded by smaller structures with thatched roofs contained within a stone wall.

Tomintoul lies on Morrigan Clan land.

North of Clan Morrigan lies Clan Bruide, their chieftain or Tòiseach is Cináed mac Bruide

Tales of Northern Thuland:

" Balar, Aye. Its an ol' talie oot o' Glissom. The Fathach, Fermirians they're cry'd en Glissom, Ay ken."

" Uisge bogies? Aye, theres a few; Caoineag, Ceasg, Crodh Mara, Fideal, Loireag an' the rest, theres a fair heap o' Fuathan en this here land."

co-author Cold Fury