Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:10 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
The game does mention which weapons prevent you using a shield or torch. How about guidelines on weapon use on horseback?

I remember something I read about cavalry swords being made curved so that the impact of a charging horse and sword doesn't dislodge it from your grasp. I heard someone mention that they intend to have more horseback rules in the new players handbook....

Surely some guidelines on bonuses to damage and armour bypass for horses is in order?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
In my own game, I use the following rules for mounted combat.

For the purpose of mounted combat, characters may be divided into those who have the Ride Warhorse skill and those who do not.

Those without the Ride Warhorse Skill suffer a -4 penalty to ATTACK and a -2 penalty to DEFENCE when fighting mounted. Those with the Ride Warhorse Skill do not suffer these initial penalties.

Those without the Ride Warhorse Skill may use a Sword, Mace, or Cudgel while mounted without additional penalties. Those with the Ride Warhorse Skill can add the Shortsword, Morning Star, Flail, and Spear to this list (those without the Ride Warhorse Skill will suffer an additional -2 to ATTACK with these weapons). They may also use a shield if they are willing to accept a combined penalty of -4 to ATTACK and DEFENCE (which they can divide as they wish) but the Shield will only work 1 in 10 times (1 in 6 if they have the Expert Parry Skills). Warlocks without the Ride Warhorse Skill can use a weapon from the second list without the -2 ATTACK penalty if it is from one of their chosen weapon groups).

Movement makes a difference. If fighting on a walking horse, a penalty of -1 to ATTACK and DEFENCE applies (which they can divide as they wish). This increases to -2 for a trot, -3 for a canter, -5 for a gallop.

During combat, a critical hit gives the chance of unhorsing the person being attacked. Those without the Ride Warhorse Skill must roll under their Reflexes to remain on their horse - modified by a Reflex penalty equal to the damage value of the weapon they were hit with and further modified by the same penalty applied by movement above. Those with the Ride Warhorse Skill can add their DEFENCE score as a bonus for this roll. If unhorsed the character will take falling damage (1d6-2 HP - 1d6 if no Armour is worn) and has a 20% chance of suffering one of the results from the Joust Fall Damage table on page 200 of the Dragon Warriors Rulebook.

A critical failure also creates a chance of falling from your horse. Roll under Reflexes on 2d12 to remain on horseback - a character with the Ride Warhorse Skill can instead roll under 2d10.

The above all assumes a normal riding horse. A rider with the Ride Warhorse Skill can add 2 in their favour to all the above tests when riding a trained warhorse. This can be raised to 4 for their own specifically trained personal Warhorse.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:15 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Now theres a thought. What about EVASION? Should you just use the horse's EVASION or is there something about those stupid movie circus tricks of leaning to the side of the horse like what I saw in Tombstone with Kurt Russell and some other movies? You might be able to avoid a DRAGONBREATH but you can't do that for a FIRESTORM....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640