Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:01 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
You know, surely a sorcerer can do things to power up some spells so that they don't expire or get dispelled so easily. We see elements of it when we're allowed to add magic points to certain spells and I believe it is possible to do a 'harder psychic fatigue' roll to strengthen some of the spells. I'm basing this on memories of book 2 since I can't be bothered retrieving it. I think wall of magic was one of them.

Can we play around with this? Can't we use double magic points so that things won't expire after the first expiry rolled? Have you played around with this? What guidelines would you apply? I'd suppose a mystic can only increase the 'level' of a spell up to his own current level.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:51 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I've had this in my house rules for ages, but it gets pretty complicated and my players almost never used it. To be frank they hardly used most of the available spells as written, and weren't much interested in creative modifications to any of them.

The basic idea originally was to divide everything measurable in the spell by its level, and then allow it to be cast at a higher level to reap the commensurate benefit. For instance, Dragonbreath is level 1 and has a damage of 1d6+6, range 20m and speed 12, so if you cast it as level 2 it will have double each of those.

You can probably see right away how this simple approach doesn't actually work; by its logic if you cast Dragonbreath at the same level as Firestorm (9) it would greatly outstrip that spell in most respects, having 9d6+54 damage, speed 108 and range 180 metres. In the end I came up with all sorts of rules to even out these absurdities, but I'm not sure if it was ever worth the effort.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:22 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
You know, surely a sorcerer can do things to power up some spells so that they don't expire or get dispelled so easily. We see elements of it when we're allowed to add magic points to certain spells and I believe it is possible to do a 'harder psychic fatigue' roll to strengthen some of the spells. I'm basing this on memories of book 2 since I can't be bothered retrieving it. I think wall of magic was one of them.

Can we play around with this? Can't we use double magic points so that things won't expire after the first expiry rolled? Have you played around with this? What guidelines would you apply? I'd suppose a mystic can only increase the 'level' of a spell up to his own current level.

I have some house rules, and they kinda work a bit like this:
  • You can boost any spell.
  • You can only boost a spell with up to as many Magic Points as the level of the spell.
  • If you want to boost a spell further, you have to cast the spell as if it were a higher level spell (but for no other effect - for example, to boost Dragonbreath with 2 effects, you'd have to cast it as a second level spell for 2MPs, but get no bonus for doing so - so it would cost 4MP in total to cast, but still only have 2 boost effects).
  • Each MP boost enables one of the following to be applied to the spell:
    • Increase Magical Attack by 1 for the purpose of resolving the effect of this spell (may be taken more than once).
    • Increase Speed by 1 for the purpose of resolving the effect of this spell (may be taken more than once).
    • Double the range of the spell.
    • Increase damage of a spell by 1HP (may be taken more than once).
    • Change spell expiry roll to 2d8 (expiring on 16). The spell can no longer be terminated before natural expiry.
  • Some spells have special boost effects available in the spell description.
  • Boosting a spell causes additional Taint (about which I've written elsewhere on this forum, so won't repeat here).

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!