Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Page 73 of the 2nd Edition Dragon Warriors rulebook states: “a Sorcerer, Elementalist or Warlock cannot cast a spell of higher level than her rank.” This appears to clear up an omission from the original Dragon Warriors Book 5, where it did not say that Elementalists were limited by rank in casting spells (I’ve checked – it doesn’t).

But… Was this an omission?

Instead of spending time creating funky new spells for Elementalists (although I have amused myself creating one or two of those anyway), I have been experimenting with a house rule where Elementalists are not limited by Rank in casting spells – only by MP. This means that a Rank 1 Elementalist can potentially cast a Level 3 Spell – if he’s prepared to blow all his MP in one go.

I’ve been play-testing this house rule and, so far, it’s working quite well.

Of course, I devised this rule before 2nd Edition – and the introduction of “Raw Power” – came out.
(Incidentally, I prefer the toned-down version of Raw Power presented in the Player’s Guide, page 80.)

The one drawback to my house rule is that it makes NPC Elementalists potentially very dangerous: while a PC has to be sparing with their use of MPs (in case they run out too soon), an NPC (often present for just one fight) has no such limits. It is therefore up to the GM to “role-play” the NPC well and consider if they really would blow all their MPs on one, big spell…

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I heard there was also no restrictions on armour for elementalists. Theres also if I recall correctly no movement in that earth spell man of stone or whatever it was calls. Book 5 did seem to be missing some information.

Not a fan of raw power. If they wanted to strengthen the elementalist they could've did some work and expanded on other skills or less flashy abilities.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:38 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
I heard there was also no restrictions on armour for elementalists.

Dragon Warriors Book 5, pg. 11 - "Armour does not affect an Elementalist's power although he is hampered by wearing heavy armour in combat just as a Sorcerer is (Book One, p.42)."

Quote:
Theres also if I recall correctly no movement in that earth spell man of stone or whatever it was calls.

You're not wrong there. The Man of Stone has no movement rate; neither does the Holocaust (Fire, Level 10), for that matter.

Quote:
If they wanted to strengthen the elementalist they could've did some work and expanded on other skills or less flashy abilities.

You don't have to use the "blast damage" version. The 2nd Edition Rulebook, page 37, has some other uses for Raw Power - including; lighting a candle, filling a hole, creating wind*...
* Not the kind requiring beans as part of the spell components.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Still, your interpretation doesn't depart from the short term strength of magic users early and at full charge. Seeing as the elementalist powers weren't that overpowered. I note that sorceror magic point gains slow down after a few ranks, otherwise they probably have too much short term firepower.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

As written, you wonder how low-rank Elementalists survived and got the experience necessary to reach higher Ranks. Balancing them is proving a long and arduous process.

Fortunately, I've not had many players wanting to play an Elementalist... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Starkad wrote:
As written, you wonder how low-rank Elementalists survived and got the experience necessary to reach higher Ranks. Balancing them is proving a long and arduous process.

Fortunately, I've not had many players wanting to play an Elementalist... ;)

We determined that if they used all their 1st level spells they could waft warm grapes at people. :)

I've had a couple of Elementalist players in my Glissom campaign on RPOL over the years....fairly dangerous...even to other party members. ;)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

I should think players of elementalists should inspire admiration and ridicule. Maybe they're good roleplayers who can carry lanterns with class.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Kharille wrote:
I should think players of elementalists should inspire admiration and ridicule. Maybe they're good roleplayers who can carry lanterns with class.

Fairly sure Colm inspired a bit of fear.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

that online dice roller, +3 sword... pretty good hardware... And the new raw power.... Not the traditional gamebook 5 elementalist...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Starkad wrote:

I think one of the real killers for elementalists is that they do not start with their elemental focus and, without it, their spells cost double magic points. So if you're unfortunate enough not to be able to afford one from your starting florins (2-20), most first rank elementalists will be limited to casting one spell one their first adventure.

And you don't want to get me started on raw power - possibly the worst thing to be introduced into the second edition!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!