Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Does anyone have any ideas for the name of the mother of Gatanades the Saviour? I think she'd be an important figure in the True Faith. I'd welcome suggestions...

So far, I only have "Magna Mater" as a title.

I did think of Impedimenta Theotokos...

Attachments:
Impedimenta Theotokos.jpg
Impedimenta Theotokos.jpg [ 14.62 KiB | Viewed 5512 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 am 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Starkad wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for the name of the mother of Gatanades the Saviour? I think she'd be an important figure in the True Faith. I'd welcome suggestions...

So far, I only have "Magna Mater" as a title.

I did think of Impedimenta Theotokos...

Her heckling and prowess with the dreaded Rolling Pin of Doom strike dread into the heart of even the bravest assailant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Would be interesting if someone put the work together for True Faith and Old Faith material. Somehow I think Dave avoided 'Old Faith' altogether since I don't recall any where in the old books of this religion, nor in the bloodsword books

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Various 'Old Faith' gods, demigods, demons, ect. (the distinction is hazy), such as Balor and Rimfax, throughout the rules, then stating in the 'Lie of the Land' section that 'Balor and Rimfax were demons even in the druids' pantheon', and that while uncivilised, and wild, the Old Gods were (mostly) not evil, like the Unseelie Faeries of British folklore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:52 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

I have quite a lot of stuff on the "old" faiths... It's the details of the True Faith that are stumping me a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Acoma wrote:
Various 'Old Faith' gods, demigods, demons, ect. (the distinction is hazy), such as Balor and Rimfax, throughout the rules, then stating in the 'Lie of the Land' section that 'Balor and Rimfax were demons even in the druids' pantheon', and that while uncivilised, and wild, the Old Gods were (mostly) not evil, like the Unseelie Faeries of British folklore.

That's a view I hadn't considered. I always considered the 'Old Faith' to be equivalent to Old Testament Christianity, the 'True Faith' to be New Testament Christianity, and the 'Old Gods' to be equivalent to Pagan polytheistic practices (to call such practices a religion depends on how you define 'religion' and the role of the particular pantheon of Old Gods in your game - wars in the real world have been fought over less so I'm steering clear of that debate!)

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
...and the 'Old Gods' to be equivalent to Pagan polytheistic practices

That's what I've gone for. Various peoples having their own gods (although some cross boundaries and become quite widespread - Woden, Tor, Loge, for example).

Quote:
Balor and Rimfax were demons even in the druids' pantheon

No druids in Selentium or Emphidor...

Still thinking of a name for the Magna Mater. Difficult to get away from "real world" versions... Perhaps something like Marta?
(The True Faith is very similar to Christianity - which makes it easy to role-play and picture - but I like having it just different enough to remind people that it is not real... Which is why we have Gatanades the Saviour.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:48 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Maybe something close, but with a very slight modification, like Mara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Starkad wrote:
I always considered the 'Old Faith' to be equivalent to Old Testament Christianity

Do you mean Judaism? If so, there's no evidence of such a thing in DW that I'm aware of. Off the top of my head I can only think of one distinctly Jewish thing in DW, the Golem, and in the game it is completely divorced from its real-world cultural significance and is just another arteface that sorcerers can construct.

For all we know there is no reason to doubt that The True Faith was entirely novel, a completely new religion owing nothing to anything that came before.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:30 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
Starkad wrote:
I always considered the 'Old Faith' to be equivalent to Old Testament Christianity

Do you mean Judaism? If so, there's no evidence of such a thing in DW that I'm aware of. Off the top of my head I can only think of one distinctly Jewish thing in DW, the Golem, and in the game it is completely divorced from its real-world cultural significance and is just another arteface that sorcerers can construct.

For all we know there is no reason to doubt that The True Faith was entirely novel, a completely new religion owing nothing to anything that came before.

I agree. And I couldn't tell you why I think what I do about the Old Faith.

Nor am I sufficiently expert in how Judaism was practised across Dark Age Europe to know if there would be any parallels for which to look (or to deploy) in Legend.

My ignorance and I are going to crawl back into the hole from which we came and get on with some work...

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!