A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Recharging Magic Items
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
How do you handle recharging charged rings (or unique artefacts, if they can be recharged) in your games? I feel like '1 month = 1 charge) is both vague (1 month doing what?) and inconvenient. I was thinking maybe some kind of quest?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:48 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
The rules say rings... "can be recharged up to the maximum capacity of 21 charges by any Sorcerer of 8th Rank or higher. The time required for this is one lunar month per charge."

I think that's pretty clear. It takes 28 days to re-charge a ring. As with all Artifice-related activities, the work "is intensely demanding and ties up most of the Sorcerer's occult energy over a long period. No adventuring is possible while making one of these items." (By making, I would also include 'recharging'.)

These months are inconvenient, but so is making many magical item. If it weren't inconvenient, the players would have no reason to be careful with the charges - simply blow everything like a machine gun and recharge at the end.

Ordinarily I'd agree with an option for a quest, but in this instance I'd be careful. Quests give plenty of rewards (in terms of XP and, usually, treasure), so this is a reward for squandering the item's charges... And why would there be a 'quest' for something that is well understood by Sorcerers of high rank?

Of course, the exception would be where the party don't have an 8th Rank Sorcerer, so they have to find one and (no doubt) he won't recharge their precious ring "for free". He may have a job for them... ;)
(Are your players' characters below 8th Rank? Because, if so, they need to find the favour of a Rank 8+ Sorcerer who isn't busy doing something else...)

This is one example where cultivating the friendship of a high-ranking Sorcerer is worth more than mere gold or jewels (as in the adventure 'The Greatest Prize').

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
My players' characters are all 4th Rank, quite far away from 5th Rank, although they do have a sorceror. Perhaps they could befriend the high-level Sorceror, learn some kind of non-canon spell (between 4 and 6 MP) allowing them to find the 'source' of the item's power - inevitably a dangerous underwurlde, of course?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
If it furthers your game and is fun, why not?

What are the Sorcerer's motives though? One doesn't teach magic for so little reason... What is in that underworld that he really wants? Will the players even realise what they're really doing?
(There could be something in there, seemingly innocuous, that could lead to Trouble in the months ahead...)

The Sorcerer may seem friendly, but is he really? In a pinch, is he just sending a bunch of expendables into danger to retrieve something for himself...?
(Etc.)