Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:45 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Was wondering about this for a few months and did another re-watch of the series just recently.

There was an animated TV series called the Legend of Prince Valiant that ran for 2 seasons in the US. I found the series on DVD (2 volumes). (You can also find all the episodes on You Tube easily to watch also.) It was a no-magic setting (magic was science, well hints of magic show up a few times, lets say low fantasy), you did have some fantastic creatures show up in a a few episodes.

Episode quality varied, and the writers were allow to kill people, and do other things normally not allowed in an animated series airing in the west at that time, cause as it was being done as prime time cable tv series.

It also didn't just retell the Prince Valiant comics. The writers and artist used those for inspiration but wanted to do an original series inspired from the comics.

A bunch of the episodes gave a few ideas for DW adventures when I watched the series for the first time and I was wondering if the series setting would work well as a DW campaign setting or any particular episodes really fit the DW setting if anyone gets chance to watch it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:14 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
I was wondering if the series setting would work well as a DW campaign setting

I've not seen the show, but I don't see why not. I've used Arthurian things (and scenarios from King Arthur Pendragon RPG) to run a long-running campaign set in the Albion of Vallandar... Based on the players' reactions, it seemed to work quite well.