Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:29 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
Kuublu is not prepared to sacrifice one of his Donkeys for lodgings, at least not at this time. He'll give the Ado his carpet and hopes that will suffice for now.

Ak'kulula is wholly unfamiliar with the trading value of stuff, nor does he grasp the nuances of barter trade and bargaining. However, the great need of Ado is clear to him. At least his need for a reliable source of food is.

And so it follows that the boy is totally confused at Kubluu's counter offer of his carpet. Eyes wide with perplexity, he scratches his head and for a brief moment wonders how he may respond to the situation.

"My Prince. Your wrapping cloth is most cunningly made and is useful for many things. But what the Sitting-Man needs is food. Food that he can get reliably. Everyday."

His little almond eyes brighten in sudden inspiration.

"Ak'kulula bring tasty fruits for Sitting-Man. Ak'kulula know where to find tasty fruits. At very top of tree where the sun's rays make ripe very good..."

He beams proudly at the Prince.

"With your permission Prince. Ak'kulula go."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Kuublu smiles.

"Ak', perhaps you can gather food that we can preserve. That way we can impose less on our host. The carpet is ideal for people who have found a good place to stay, a home. But I would like to point out, the reason we keep the same plant together is to save us the time foraging. You may wish to join them in bringing in the harvest, that way you may learn more about our ways."

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Kharille wrote:
Kuublu smiles.

"Ak', perhaps you can gather food that we can preserve. That way we can impose less on our host. The carpet is ideal for people who have found a good place to stay, a home. But I would like to point out, the reason we keep the same plant together is to save us the time foraging. You may wish to join them in bringing in the harvest, that way you may learn more about our ways."

Ak'kulula's smile fades away from his face. He nods at the Kubluu, shrugs his thin shoulders, picks up the Prince's carpet, and brings it to Ado, to see if the crippled man would be willing to accept it as payment for boarding in the stead of meat. And if acceptable, how many days worth of boarding for them would it be worth.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Pulgil willingly helps with the harvest even though this type of work is unfamiliar to her. Among her own people, farming is limited - not unknown and she understands the value of a steady supply of food, but she was always a hunter.

As she works, she watches what others do. If she is going to do this, she wants to get better at it. But she also makes sure her spear is close to hand. This harvest is important. Important things must be protected.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:38 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
The old crippled man grabs the carpet from the boys hands and smiles.

" A little food and this gift and you can stay as long as you all want."

Ak' is surprised at the crippled mans reaction to the carpet but notes that spending so much time on the floor the fellow likely appreciates something softer than the woven leaf mats that cover the floors of the homes here.

Foregoing the end of harvest festivities, Pulgil and Chiemeka are headed to their lodgings after a long days work when they are intercepted by Ak' who calls them over to the priests dwelling where Kuublu and the old man are drinking and talking.

In the priests house you can still hear the sounds of revelry outside, but muffledo now. The last rays of sunlight are fading and he brings another torch, lights it and places it in a sling on the central pole. He heads over to a shelf and brings down a stone tablet showing it to all of you. It is covered in symbols and stylised engravings. Chiemeka puzzles over it and then nods to himself; it has similarities to the journey-sticks of the forest people and the carvings on rock walls in the mountains....it seems to be a sort of map, and there are symbols running down the sides but he does not know their meaning.

“Have you heard of Queen Ndar?” asks Edwa. “ She is said to have been ruler of all these lands long ago. Her reign was just and it is said it was she who petioned the great serpents to drive the eagles-who-walk-as-men from these lands. Great warriors bowed to her and priests and witches honoured her."

"But her sister, Nogru, hated her for her success, betrayed her to the feathered ones, wrought a war in which Ndars kingdom was laid waste. The legends say that Ndar met Nogru in the final battle and struck her down with a single blow, but Nogru had laid a curse upon her spear and it dealt the queen a grievous wound as it fell from the traitor’s dead hand."

“Mtho, the queens favourite wife and priestess of Nyami, found her dying queen on the battlefield and took her in his arms, carrying her to a sacred place where a temple to Nyami lay a temple that Mtho had built with one purpose. There she placed her love, with her twelve bravest warriors and all the treasures of her kingdom, to await the day when she was needed again to drive the eagles from these lands."

“A grand story, to be sure. I believe there was indeed a powerful ruler called Ndar—or Darnin, or Nirin; legends differ from village to village. This document was given to me by an ancient priest of Nyami on his deathbed years ago; he could not read the symbols. I believe that after many years and comparing them to sacred carvings that I can."

"It tells where Ndar is buried”—he stabs his finger down on the tablet— “in thick jungle at the edge of Kupi Lake, three days walk!”

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:06 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Kuublu, with a faint whiff of alcohol on his breath looks on with wide open eyes. Knowledge, first hand accounts passed verbally from generation to generation, and now revealed to him.

"We should seek this out! There is much to be learned, what has passed beyond generations through lips now resides and within reach!" Kuublu congratulates Etwa for his discovery and suggests that they prepare to investigate.

Last edited by Kharille on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:52 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Ak'kulula's eyes widen in wonder at the Priest's tale. There aren't many historical traditions by his adopted people, for while the Great Apes have exceedingly long memories concerning who their friends and enemies are, they are generally not a record keeping species. And his own knowledge of those of humans have been scarce beyond the couple of well known legends narrated to him by Aunt Nansi.

The lad cannot make head or tails of the stone tablet, but he remembers Queen Ndar however. And like any other boy of his age, Ak'kulula is excited by the prospect of exploration and adventure that seeking out the tomb of the legendary Queen would entail.

The lad excitedly watches the exchange between "the adults", eagerly anticipating the call to start the journey.

Last edited by howareyou on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Damian May wrote:
The old crippled man grabs the carpet from the boys hands and smiles.

" A little food and this gift and you can stay as long as you all want."

Ak' is surprised at the crippled mans reaction to the carpet but notes that spending so much time on the floor the fellow likely appreciates something softer than the woven leaf mats that cover the floors of the homes here.

Nodding enthusiastically, the lad, eager to be of help to the crippled old man, goes out immediately and gathers a couple day's worth of the juiciest, sweetest fruits he can find in the vicinity of the village. These he wraps in banana leaf and brings to Ado.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Elementalist
Damian May wrote:
“A grand story, to be sure. I believe there was indeed a powerful ruler called Ndar—or Darnin, or Nirin; legends differ from village to village. This document was given to me by an ancient priest of Nyami on his deathbed years ago; he could not read the symbols. I believe that after many years and comparing them to sacred carvings that I can."

Chiemeka gives up trying to understand the map and returns it to Edwa.

"I have heard stories of a Queen Nirin on my travels. The details are always different - I have heard that it was the Queen's knife that was cursed, rather than a spear, and in one version there were 15 warriors buried with her, not twelve - but the basic story remains the same, much as you have told it here. I am inclined to agree that she existed, but the stories of her wealth and power may be greatly exaggerated of course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:06 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

"Ah yes, and other stories too. Queen Nirin. Her desire for peace and unification of the land was so great, she did not mind that her consort strayed with her greatest warrior chiefs. Despite her despair at the betrayal she only desired to serve the kingdom. Such was her magnanimity! Such ideals serve to inspire future generations, where such accounts of generosity, loyalty and altruism make our contemporaries cover their faces in shame."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next