Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Players Guide is on sale
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/141930/Dragon-Warriors-Players-Guide

On drive-thru RPG, only as hard cover right now. Haven't seen any official announcement from Serpent King Games, yet, just got the update from Drive Thru, so I am not sure when PDF will be available. I assume it will be.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:24 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
£23 (inc postage) is quite steep for so little new content. I think I'll wait for the PDF - I've waited over 4 years so far, I can wait a few more months.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
£23 (inc postage) is quite steep for so little new content. I think I'll wait for the PDF - I've waited over 4 years so far, I can wait a few more months.

By all means, wait, but I'd say there's an awful lot of new content in the book.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just did a count through - there's about 100 pages of new content in this book (and that's not counting a few full page illustrations as new content). 5 pages on armour and weapons is material that was released as PDF sheets, and the 31 page Demonology chapter is a reprint (although there is also some new Demonology material as well), and some of the Hunter material is still the same as the web preview (although it has had some changes), but there is a lot of new material there.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
All the other supplements, like Elven Crystals, Sleeping Gods, Prince of Darkness, etc., are only £6.50. Even the main rulebook is only £13 (although this on sale from it's normal price of £25). Given the Players' Book is a little longer than other supplements, I think it's probably fair to charge around the £10-12 region.

Compare this to other supplements on DriveThru and it paints a grim portrait of greed. The £23 price tag puts it head and shoulders above any other 100-ish-page supplement. In fact, of the 16,912 items classified as 'supplements' on DriveThru RPG, the Players' Guide would fall into the top 200 or so (it's difficult to get an actual ranking, due to postage and sale prices). That region of the table is predominantly bundles or large supplements, consisting of many hundreds (in some cases thousands) of pages of material.

Couple this with the fact that SKG has only released this as a physical purchase - giving the dwindling community of fans no choice but to pay this excessive price - leaves me thinking SKG is taking advantage of a community desperate for new material.

Anyone have an alternative interpretation?

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:52 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Hm, I don't know... I am tired of the video gaming industry releasing so many versions and expansions. Its a trend, for something so niche and with slow life cycles to charge higher. I mean, for a comparison, one movie might cost me 100 HKD for 2 hours of not necessary much enjoyment, seeing as how most movies tend to be shallow garbage. However a video game only a few years old will cost less than 100 HKD, like, 8 quid UK and last for 300 hours or more. Unless its mount & blade warband, I've heard of people having 4000 hours of their life sucked away and I can see myself doing so too.

I'll probably skim through the players guide. No time to read the new dragwars rules and I only heard about the elementalists and their new ability sometime in the past two years... I'm curious to see the contents but I still think in terms of the original 6 books. Warlocks don't wear plate any more? Must've came across that discussion on this forum....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
All the other supplements, like Elven Crystals, Sleeping Gods, Prince of Darkness, etc., are only £6.50. Even the main rulebook is only £13 (although this on sale from it's normal price of £25). Given the Players' Book is a little longer than other supplements, I think it's probably fair to charge around the £10-12 region.

Compare this to other supplements on DriveThru and it paints a grim portrait of greed. The £23 price tag puts it head and shoulders above any other 100-ish-page supplement. In fact, of the 16,912 items classified as 'supplements' on DriveThru RPG, the Players' Guide would fall into the top 200 or so (it's difficult to get an actual ranking, due to postage and sale prices). That region of the table is predominantly bundles or large supplements, consisting of many hundreds (in some cases thousands) of pages of material.

Couple this with the fact that SKG has only released this as a physical purchase - giving the dwindling community of fans no choice but to pay this excessive price - leaves me thinking SKG is taking advantage of a community desperate for new material.

Anyone have an alternative interpretation?

It's no longer appearing on the list of Serpent King products at DriveThru as it was when I posted about it a few hours ago (although it is still available if you go directly to it), which suggests SKG might be making it less visible - as a guess, perhaps because the PDF is meant to be available and isn't. That's a guess on my part, but I was expecting to see the PDF. Remember, there hasn't been any official announcement of the book being available yet - I posted because I saw it on Drive Thru (and I was looking for a reason).

As for the rest - Serpent King is a very small company and there may well be reasons why this book is more expensive than a book from a larger company would be. I doubt it's greed, I suspect it's just reality that this is what it needs to cost. I do think the fair comparison is to the full price (not the sale price) of the main rulebook, and this new book is only two thirds that cost (that is in US dollars, which is how prices display for me in Australia). That actually seems about right to me.

You're comparing PDF prices with hard copy prices. Most of the Dragon Warriors rulebooks are not currently available in hard copy, unfortunately, but these are the recommended retail prices on the back of my hardcopy rulebooks - all of which were released by Magnum Opus/Flaming Cobra, not by Serpent King. I see prices in US dollars, as I've said.

Sleeping Gods (104 pages) - $24.95
Friend or Foes (64 pages) - $19.95
Elven Crystals (80 pages) - $19.99
Prince of Darkness (88 pages) - $19.99
In From the Cold (112 pages) - $24.99
Bestiary (88 pages) - $24.95

These are all paperbacks, all smaller than the Players Guide which is hard cover, and about 144 pages in total - and its price on DriveThru RPG is $29.95

This does not seem, to me, unreasonable compared to the price on release of the other books which were Magnum Opus/Flaming Cobra releases. Not for a hardcover book larger than these paperbacks - and even In From The Cold is now five years old, so inflation also needs to be considered.

As I say, I see prices in USD, not sterling, so I can't say what might be going on with prices in pounds.

The lack of a PDF seems odd to me, but at this point, that may simply be a glitch of some sort. I honestly don't know. I was assuming a PDF would be released personally, but I can't recall if that was something I was told would happen, or just an assumption on my part.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:52 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Greed?

Probably best I go to the gym now instead of posting something I'll regret.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:17 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
I don't mind the price too much, but I'd expect the .pdf to be included at no additional charge. As soon as that is included, I'll be buying.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:29 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Knave
Eeeeek!

I just got an email update from DTRPG. Is this a hoax?

Price is $38.74AUD. Maybe a little steep but not unreasonable. I dare say if they were hoping to make a profit it would be 3 times as much!

My only complaint is that this is just for the hard copy and does not include the pdf. I would baulk at having to pay extra for the pdf.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next