All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
From the Serpent King site: http://serpentking.com/?p=352

Just a quick update to say that Friends of Foes is now available in POD format:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/93970/Friends-or-Foes

You can expect more of our catalogue to appear in POD over the next few weeks.

The Summoner’s Tale and The Reeve’s Tale are still in editing with a third book in the planning stages.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:11 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Dreadnought wrote:
From the Serpent King site: http://serpentking.com/?p=352

Just a quick update to say that Friends of Foes is now available in POD format:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/93970/Friends-or-Foes

You can expect more of our catalogue to appear in POD over the next few weeks.

The Summoner’s Tale and The Reeve’s Tale are still in editing with a third book in the planning stages.

Woo Hoo!

ooh...new book in planning stage! Wonder if they need writers? :)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
I would have *loved* to have seen this thread started by someone from SKG...

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
I would have *loved* to have seen this thread started by someone from SKG...

And it might have been - if I hadn't got onto it and posted first. :) Or maybe not. I don't know.

As I said earlier, I would like to see Serpent King Games having a much more active web presence. But it's an extremely small company, consisting of people cramming in work between other commitments. And there are some things only they can do. They are the only people who can give us official new material. Honestly, I want them focused on that before I want them focused on PR.

It took four years for the Dragon Warriors Players Guide to appear, and that's a long time but if it hadn't been for SKG being willing to take up the reins after James Wallis and Magnum Opus pulled out, it never would have appeared at all. We also wouldn't have had The Knight's Tale or The Miller's Tale or (in hopefully the very near future) The Summoner's Tale or The Reeve's Tale. We also wouldn't have The Serpent King Games Fan Policy and without that, we wouldn't have had Cadaver Draconis. We also might well not have had this forum - because the game still being 'current' did figure in my decision to set it up. It's costing me about $40 a year to provide it.

We would have had the Wiki, I assume - and I am guessing we would have had the Cobwebbed Forest as well - and both of those are good things - I use the character generator on the Cobwebbed Forest all the time in my own games, never mind everything else - but I honestly think we need Serpent King Games for the game to have any real future, as well as having a glorious past.

So I try to help with the things I can help with - and that means getting news out there as fast as I can when I see it.

And even if Serpent King isn't actively posting here, a number of people who have a pretty good idea of what is going on are, and they are sharing whatever they can whenever they can.

I have noticed the Serpent King blog is more active than it was - and I think that's great. I hope it remains so and gets more and more active.

But I'm going to share whatever I can share as soon as I can share it, and I hope other people will as well.

What worries me most is that it might all become too hard for the people at SKG who are working really hard to get this done. I worry about the negativity for that reason.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Dreadnought wrote:
I would like to see Serpent King Games having a much more active web presence. But it's an extremely small company, consisting of people cramming in work between other commitments. And there are some things only they can do. They are the only people who can give us official new material. Honestly, I want them focused on that before I want them focused on PR.

But not the only people that can produce material - Cadaver Draconis, The Hollow Men, the treatment on Ongus, and all the adventures and downloads that are available on the Cobwebbed Forest and Library of Hiabuor mean that we neither need to rely, nor have relied, on SKG for new material. If anything, the expectation that SKG will release something has stifled community output - waiting before posting our own community projects to see if SKG either might be interested in the content to publish 'officially', or making sure that what we have been working on doesn't conflict with something SKG has in their pipeline.

As for not doing PR, I think it's naïve to assume that the game will become popular and successful without it. It will be picked up by the fans, some interested bystanders, and some collectors, but it will then quickly be overtaken by the next new kid on the block and forgotten about without some continued momentum by SKG. Great as it is, the Players' Guide is just going to be a curiosity to a lot of people.

Dreadnought wrote:
It took four years for the Dragon Warriors Players Guide to appear, and that's a long time but if it hadn't been for SKG being willing to take up the reins after James Wallis and Magnum Opus pulled out, it never would have appeared at all. We also wouldn't have had The Knight's Tale or The Miller's Tale or (in hopefully the very near future) The Summoner's Tale or The Reeve's Tale. We also wouldn't have The Serpent King Games Fan Policy and without that, we wouldn't have had Cadaver Draconis.

Without the SKG fan policy, the community produced and released a wealth of content. And in the 4 years it took SKG to release a couple of adventures and the Players' Guide, the community hasn't exactly been idle. The Players' Guide is a great publication, but the adventures are no better than anything the community has produced (in the Knight's Tale, possibly a little worse...). I also think if no-one had picked up the licence after Magnum Opus, the Players' Guide material would have found an outlet, just as so much else has, but that's pure speculation.

Dreadnought wrote:
We also might well not have had this forum - because the game still being 'current' did figure in my decision to set it up. It's costing me about $40 a year to provide it.

That was one of my concerns when we migrated away from Yahoo - just as we have no control over Yahoo's changes in policy, should anything happen to you or your finances (or just your emotional investment in Dragon Warriors generally), this forum could disappear...

Dreadnought wrote:
What worries me most is that it might all become too hard for the people at SKG who are working really hard to get this done. I worry about the negativity for that reason.

You could be right; and then we'd be no worse off than we were before - discussing the game, sharing our homebrew material (which is no more or less valid than the 'official' stuff SKG produces), and generally keeping the game alive the same way we have for the past 30 years without SKG. I'm not being negative; I'm just being ambitious - we don't need SKG for new material (although that is nice when it happens :)), we need them to be our standard bearer - co-ordinating this community and luring new gamers away from Dragon Warriors' inferior cousins.

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
But not the only people that can produce material - Cadaver Draconis, The Hollow Men, the treatment on Ongus, and all the adventures and downloads that are available on the Cobwebbed Forest and Library of Hiabuor mean that we neither need to rely, nor have relied, on SKG for new material. If anything, the expectation that SKG will release something has stifled community output - waiting before posting our own community projects to see if SKG either might be interested in the content to publish 'officially', or making sure that what we have been working on doesn't conflict with something SKG has in their pipeline.

I'm afraid that I just don't agree. Let's look at some of the material you mention as having been released - and bear in mind I'm writing this as somebody with some view of things from the inside:

Cadaver Draconis - I think it is pretty much guaranteed that Cadaver Draconis[/i] would never have seen the light of day without 'official' Dragon Warriors being in existence. Most of it was originally written as part of the original draft of what became the Players Guide and it would not have been written if that book had not been in development. For various reasons, it didn't wind up in the Players Guide but that is what it was written for and it really is the only reason that it exists. Now, having been written, nobody had access to it except for a small number of us involved in writing the Players Guide and I don't think the necessary effort would have been made to resurrect and save that material if not for two very important factors - (1) the knowledge that the Players Guide was being successful enough in terms of sales to make it likely that enough people would want Cadaver Draconis to make it worth us putting in the effort involved to get it to a final release stage - and that effort was quite considerable - and (2) the existence of the Fan Policy making it legally safe for us to do so.

the treatment on Ongus. Well I wrote that, and again, I very much doubt that it would have ever seen the light of day if not for the existence of 'official' Dragon Warriors. That is for two reasons relating to why I bothered to put it together in the first place. The primary reason I did the work involved in creating the city of Ongus is because I needed it for two of my projects - my own campaign (which is set in Ongus) and a children's novel (fanfic, because of copyright issues, never intended for publication) set in Ongus. The first of these reasons is more significant, though the second has some relevance. The thing is, while I might have started the novel - I think it unlikely - but I know I wouldn't have developed the city if I didn't need it for my game, and I would not have been able to get my regular game group to commit to a Dragon Warriors campaign for a system they saw as dead. This campaign was expressly linked to the release of the Players Guide.

and all the adventures and downloads that are available on the... Library of Hiabuor.

Virtually everything I have made available on the Library of Hiabuor site, has been written because official Dragon Warriors exists. The only exception, I can think of, is some of the material on the Rathurbosk - and if you want you can compare the version of that I wrote in the 'Dark Ages' of no official game -http://www.oocities.org/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm with what I have written since - http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/rathurboskintro.html - and the Heraldry stuff. None of the rest of it would be there if there wasn't an official game.

I've been running games at Melbourne roleplaying conventions since... 1997. But even though Dragon Warriors was, far and away, my favourite game, I very rarely ran it. I ran one DW scenario (unfortunately lost) called The White Lady at a small con in 1999, and The King Under The Forest (as taken from Book 1) at a con specifically devoted to 'retrogames' in about 2006, but that was it. Running con games for a 'dead' system, unfortunately, is not rewarding in our local context here - nobody wants to play them unless they were absolutely cult hits. That may not be true elsewhere. It's only since the game was officially reborn that it's been worth my time to run it. And I'm not the only one - I'm not sure if it is something in Melbourne's drinking water or what, but we've had cons here in recent years with multiple DW scenarios being run and I really don't think that would have happened without an official game.in

I started the original Dragon Warriors discussion group in either 1996 or 1997 (from memory, we started on graffiti.net, then moved to coollist.com and then to makelist.com and then to yahoogroups.com as bigger companies devoured smaller ones) - and set up (what I believe) was the first Dragon Warriors webpage around the same time (the earliest version of the page still online is from May 1998). These were some of the very few places the game was discussed and was online for quite a long time. I've got plenty of experience of seeing what happened to the game during those dark ages - I was part of vibrant online communities for other games where lots of new material was being produced - but there really wasn't much for DW. A few webpages. In the 1990s, that probably wasn't surprising because there weren't many people on the web - but from the early 2000s onwards, that really wasn't a problem. The Wiki changed things to an extent - but I think the revitalisation of an official living version has done even more.

Only you can say if you would have done the Cobwebbed Forest without an official game being around, but even if you had, that would really mean one really good website - would there have been others? I'd say the evidence from 2000 to 2008 says its unlikely. It's not that nothing was released - if you look in the archives over at Yahoogroups alone, you'll find a few things that I think are great - but honestly, I've never seen much get traction.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
As for not doing PR, I think it's naïve to assume that the game will become popular and successful without it. It will be picked up by the fans, some interested bystanders, and some collectors, but it will then quickly be overtaken by the next new kid on the block and forgotten about without some continued momentum by SKG. Great as it is, the Players' Guide is just going to be a curiosity to a lot of people.

While I'd love Dragon Warriors to become mega-huge, I think even with the best PR in the world, that would be unlikely in a world where even D&D seems to be struggling against Pathfinder and almost everything in the fantasy RPG field is an also-ran. I actually think the Silver Bestseller status on DriveThru isn't bad, especially when I look at other games that aren't reaching that stage. I'd love it to do better - especially for the people who'd like to get some money for the work they've put into it :)

But in terms of financial success, I think the fact that James Wallis in an association with Mongoose couldn't make enough money to make it worth his while is the pointer that that's not the measure we need to look at.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Without the SKG fan policy, the community produced and released a wealth of content. And in the 4 years it took SKG to release a couple of adventures and the Players' Guide, the community hasn't exactly been idle. The Players' Guide is a great publication, but the adventures are no better than anything the community has produced (in the Knight's Tale, possibly a little worse...). I also think if no-one had picked up the licence after Magnum Opus, the Players' Guide material would have found an outlet, just as so much else has, but that's pure speculation.

Maybe you could tell us about this material that the community has been producing because honestly, I'm having a hard time trying to work out what you might be talking about. If there's a lot of new material out there, I've genuinely missed it. Which is entirely possible, but if so, I really want to know about it, because I want to plunder it. :)

But I don't think the Players Guide or Cadaver Draconis would have seen the light of day if Serpent King hadn't taken up the licence. I could see real legal hurdles that would have put me off, but I also think people may underestimate the amount of work that went into getting these out. I was pretty heavily involved in the final editing phases of both the Players Guide, and of Cadaver Draconis and I put hundreds of hours into the Players Guide and dozens into Cadaver Draconis - and that's just me, not everybody else. I was astonished at how much work was involved with things that to me looked almost finished when I got to that stage - I have no conception of how much work was involved getting them to that stage. I wish I felt able to share the editing document from the Players Guide. Would I have done all that with the risk of a C&D hanging over me? I doubt it.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
That was one of my concerns when we migrated away from Yahoo - just as we have no control over Yahoo's changes in policy, should anything happen to you or your finances (or just your emotional investment in Dragon Warriors generally), this forum could disappear...

I'm never likely to be in a position where my finances are that bad, and it's even less likely I'm going to become less emotionally invested in Dragon Warriors, given how long I've been involved in it now :) But, yes, there are risks. But I honestly think the risks of Yahoo shutting down are greater, and even without those risks, it was becoming almost impossible to use due to the 'improvements' they forced on us with the neo interface and the numbers of ISPs that were blocking all messages because of the huge number of groups sending nothing but spam. And while I had one other person helping me with moderation over there, if something had happened to me, it's likely that that group would have been overrun with spam or nobody would have been able to post in a couple of months anyway. You probably would have seen the number of spammers who tried to join this forum in the first couple of months of its existence - that problem was ten times worse on yahoogroups and I had no ability to put in place the type of controls that eventually seem to have (touch wood) stopped the problem here.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
You could be right; and then we'd be no worse off than we were before - discussing the game, sharing our homebrew material (which is no more or less valid than the 'official' stuff SKG produces), and generally keeping the game alive the same way we have for the past 30 years without SKG. I'm not being negative; I'm just being ambitious - we don't need SKG for new material (although that is nice when it happens :)), we need them to be our standard bearer - co-ordinating this community and luring new gamers away from Dragon Warriors' inferior cousins.

I'd love to see that too - and I think you will notice that the Serpent King blog is getting more active, and I think that is a first step to getting more active in other ways too. But I think they are still clearing a bit of backlog and I'd rather they focused on the things only they can do first (releasing official material) rather than other things.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:06 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Given how active you had been in the years prior to DW's resurrection, I guess it hadn't occurred to me that you might not be writing stuff for Dragon Warriors if the licence wasn't active. The presence or otherwise of SKG (or Magnum Opus) hasn't had an impact on the stuff I've churned out for my site (not that any of it has been of the quality of a commercial publication - or even close!), and Ordo Draconis managed to see the light of day without the SKG fan policy, so even if you dialled down your contributions, I think Dragon Warriors would potter along - it'll take more than the licence being dormant to kill it off :).

And I agree entirely with your concerns around the amount of work required to turn out a professional supplement, the lack of money in small RPGs like Dragon Warriors and the lack of fan websites and social media presence, etc. It all conspires to wither the Dragon Warriors brand and demotivate folks that might otherwise enjoy playing (let alone contributing to) such a special game. A lot of (good) indie RPGs wither and die for the same reason - there is typically one 'official' site (of questionable quality, as RPG authors are not always good at web design), too few releases to hold people's interest, and not enough of a community to maintain an active Internet presence on forums and social media.

I guess I should try to be more active myself - I've been a bit quiet both on this forum and the Cobwebbed Forest this past month or so (for various reasons, none of which are life-changing or life-threatening).

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Given how active you had been in the years prior to DW's resurrection, I guess it hadn't occurred to me that you might not be writing stuff for Dragon Warriors if the licence wasn't active.

I certainly wouldn't be writing as much. Really between 1998 and 2008, running the email list and participating in discussions was close to the only thing I was doing in terms of Dragon Warriors.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
The presence or otherwise of SKG (or Magnum Opus) hasn't had an impact on the stuff I've churned out for my site (not that any of it has been of the quality of a commercial publication - or even close!), and Ordo Draconis managed to see the light of day without the SKG fan policy, so even if you dialled down your contributions, I think Dragon Warriors would potter along - it'll take more than the licence being dormant to kill it off :).

Ordo Draconis had the approval of Magnum Opus. That's key - to do anything on that type of scale or the scale of Cadaver Draconis you really do need permission or you can't be surprised if you are hit with a cease-and-desist by the licence owners. And it could go even further than that, potentially.

I'm deliberately not going to discuss the licencing involved in the game, because I only have a very cursory understanding of it and I won't risk getting it wrong but I would not have been involved in Cadaver Draconis without the type of clear rules that the fan policy gives us. I might well have set up some sort of website and released other material (although as I've said much of that material wouldn't have been written if the game hadn't been active for various reasons) because historically most games companies have been reasonably tolerant of websites.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:20 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
The following are all available on POD as of this time:

Dragon Warriors Bestiary
Prince of Darkness
Sleeping Gods
The Elven Crystals

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:53 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Dreadnought wrote:
That's key - to do anything on that type of scale or the scale of Cadaver Draconis you really do need permission or you can't be surprised if you are hit with a cease-and-desist by the licence owners.

This kind of thing bothers me. Are SK within their legal right to enforce their IP super strictly? Yes. But its dumb. I think keeping a casual and permissive relationship with your fanbase is much more likely to engender loyalty and respect than the reverse.

As an aside, keeping a visible presence on the sites frequented by the fans is also just good business, apart from anything else (and not something that requires a massive investment in time either). Users don't want to think that the only time they're ever going to hear from the copyright owners is when they're being told to take down their fan supplement or whatever.

Cheers,

-Kyle

[Edited by Cobwebbed Dragon to attribute quote to Dreadnought]