Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Damian May wrote:
*strokes Shauns head crooning softly*

Shhhh, don't pay any attention....its a lovely dragon...

It doesn't worry me - it was simply the only dead dragon artwork I could find with with a licence that allowed its use in the circumstances :)

That was the bottom line with all the art - what was free :)

As for the rest of the cover image - I've never claimed to be a great artist. I did like how it turned out, but it would have been better if I'd been able to find certain other images I could use :)

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:48 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Knave
I think the layout and artwork is fine for a free product. I have certainly seen far, far worse out there...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:15 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Priest
I think that Cadaver Draconis is very very generous and shows a lot of hard work and effort.

There are areas in which the GM has to use their discretion but that us true of an set of optional rules.

Examples throughout RPG history:

AD&D with Dragon Issues from Gary Gygax, and then Unearthed Arcan and finally Non weapon Proficiency issues with Oriental Adventures, Dungeoneers Survival Guide and Wilderness Survival Guide.

D&D Basic once B/X encountered new classes and then weapon proficiencies with Companion and Masters and then Skills with Gazetteers.

D&D and Pathfinder with each new companion or "Book of..."

Vampire and all WoD with splats

Rolemaster 2nd with Companions 1 through 7

etc

So a big thank you.

Having said that, yeah I think some trimming and reviewing is called for, but that's what this forum is for, right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Jiminy wrote:
Having said that, yeah I think some trimming and reviewing is called for, but that's what this forum is for, right?

Interesting point. Perhaps we can use this forum a collaborative resource for members wanting to create their own fan content. We clearly have skilled and talented writers, proofreaders, playtesters, techies, and rules engineers here. I dare say we have some artists too. What do others think?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:56 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
WodenKrait wrote:
Jiminy wrote:

Interesting point. Perhaps we can use this forum a collaborative resource for members wanting to create their own fan content. We clearly have skilled and talented writers, proofreaders, playtesters, techies, and rules engineers here. I dare say we have some artists too. What do others think?

Cheers,

-Kyle

I've suggested it before, but it never seems to go anywhere.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:00 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Knight
Damian May wrote:
WodenKrait wrote:
Jiminy wrote:

Cheers,

-Kyle

It's why I worked through my house rules for the knave on here! Where else will I find a pool of like minded people like this!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:29 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Damian May wrote:
WodenKrait wrote:
Perhaps we can use this forum a collaborative resource for members wanting to create their own fan content. We clearly have skilled and talented writers, proofreaders, playtesters, techies, and rules engineers here. I dare say we have some artists too. What do others think?

If you combine the limited number of people that contribute to this forum, the broad areas of interest of those people, and the fact that we all have time-consuming personal lives, even with the best will in the world the chance of a meaningful collaboration is very limited. Even amongst our small community there are some very different ideas about the direction in which DW should be taken or where effort should be focused. And I know I'm just as guilty of promising more than I'm able to deliver with my DW projects!

And yes, Damian, I still have every intention of reviewing the 1000 Island document in Google (as I'm sure others do), but it'll just take a bit of time to get around to it (I've been in Slovenia recently - lovely country, but I didn't take, nor did I have time for, my laptop!) It's on my list...

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
Regarding the artwork, I'm afraid on the whole I wasn't a fan. I found the many different styles or illustration, variances in colouring, and uneven image quality to be jarring and not aesthetically pleasing. The cover was perhaps the worst offender, as the CG dragon and treasure were not well executed and the pasted-on human figures do not integrate with the whole scene.

Speaking as someone that's looked for good public domain fantasy art, there is very little out there - if you can't draw (or afford to pay artists yourself), you're basically screwed.

There are some workarounds. For example, if you print out some art that you want to use, trace it, scan it back in to your computer and use scans of your traced image, then you are the copyright holder for the art, not the original artist. That's also why I hold the copyright to the DW maps in the Cobwebbed Forest and not SKG or Dave Morris. You can even do this for commercial products.

Alternatively, for a non-commercial work, you could just use the art without permission. It's not great karma, but so long as you've not profited from it, and haven't caused the original artist a loss of income, there is little an artist can do except ask you to attribute the art to them or ask you to remove it from the document (both of which are fair challenges and really ought to be respected, even if there's not much an artist can do to force you to do either). This is the approach I have taken with the Hollow Men, King Under the Forest, and Shadow on the Mist downloads I've made available - and will probably be what I do with the Brymstone and Axgrave downloads that will undoubtedly be making an appearance on my site in the coming months.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:01 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Damian May wrote:
WodenKrait wrote:
And yes, Damian, I still have every intention of reviewing the 1000 Island document in Google (as I'm sure others do), but it'll just take a bit of time to get around to it (I've been in Slovenia recently - lovely country, but I didn't take, nor did I have time for, my laptop!) It's on my list...

Nah, not a reference to that. I'm going back years and many, many attempts......

Which has paid off twice....well hopefully twice, one is still in process. :)

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:04 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
WodenKrait wrote:
Regarding the artwork, I'm afraid on the whole I wasn't a fan. I found the many different styles or illustration, variances in colouring, and uneven image quality to be jarring and not aesthetically pleasing. The cover was perhaps the worst offender, as the CG dragon and treasure were not well executed and the pasted-on human figures do not integrate with the whole scene.

Speaking as someone that's looked for good public domain fantasy art, there is very little out there - if you can't draw (or afford to pay artists yourself), you're basically screwed.

There are some workarounds. For example, if you print out some art that you want to use, trace it, scan it back in to your computer and use scans of your traced image, then you are the copyright holder for the art, not the original artist. That's also why I hold the copyright to the DW maps in the Cobwebbed Forest and not SKG or Dave Morris. You can even do this for commercial products.

Alternatively, for a non-commercial work, you could just use the art without permission. It's not great karma, but so long as you've not profited from it, and haven't caused the original artist a loss of income, there is little an artist can do except ask you to attribute the art to them or ask you to remove it from the document (both of which are fair challenges and really ought to be respected, even if there's not much an artist can do to force you to do either). This is the approach I have taken with the Hollow Men, King Under the Forest, and Shadow on the Mist downloads I've made available - and will probably be what I do with the Brymstone and Axgrave downloads that will undoubtedly be making an appearance on my site in the coming months.

Yeah, I couldn't do the bolded myself....just seems wrong....but then I don't pirate entertainment either so i might just be old fashioned.

co-author Cold Fury

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next