It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Dreadnought wrote:
WodenKrait wrote:
When the Player's Guide was first released I assumed they were including those sections to avoid putting out a ridiculously slender volume, but now that I've seen the generally excellent material in Cadaver Draconis, some or all of which I understand was originally slated for the Guide (Dreadnought can correct me if I've got that wrong), I'm puzzled over why the book was written to include such items of secondary importance. To the uninformed those priorities seem wonky.

The Players Guide contains new information concerning low level Demonologists. This information would have been useless if people didn't also have access to the original demonology material and as there are copyright reasons that prevent 'In From the Cold' being republished at this point, anybody who doesn't already have it would not have been able to get it. There are also other reasons why it was important to get the Demonology material back out there that I don't think should be described at this point. I'm not trying to be cryptic but I will say that I hope will become clear in the relatively near future, and it will also be obvious why I don't think more can be said about that at this point.

About 28% of the Players' Guide content is republished material, so whilst there's some great content in there, for those of us with the original material, it's still quite a slender tome. Yes, there were 4 pages of new demonology spells that would have had to have been snipped, made freely available on the SKG site as a 'web supplemental' (a good PR technique to drive people to your website, but the least said about SKG's website the better!), or saved for a future supplement. Dreadnought is implying (or am I inferring?) that demonologists might be central to a future sourcebook or adventure - to my mind, if that was already in the pipeline then SKG should have saved the reprint of the demonologist for that module (and included the additional spells). At least that way the supplement is more self-contained - as it is now, that future supplement will only be of use if someone additionally owns one or other of the Players' Guide or In From the Cold. Or maybe SKG could reprint it again to pad out their next release ;).

Dreadnought wrote:
As for why a lot of the material contained in Cadaver Draconis wasn't in the Player's Guide, I can only speculate, but my speculation is that a large part of the reason is one I've aluded to before - the weren't the people available to playtest it and balance it properly.

Paths are a significant departure from the current model of DW professions, and they introduce a large number of new skills and abilities that further muddy what characters can and cannot do - I think it would have been brave of SKG to take Dragon Warriors in that direction. There's some beautiful flavour in Cadaver Draconis, which should be lauded, but the value of Cadaver Draconis to me is in the appendices.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Paths are a significant departure from the current model of DW professions, and they introduce a large number of new skills and abilities that further muddy what characters can and cannot do - I think it would have been brave of SKG to take Dragon Warriors in that direction. There's some beautiful flavour in Cadaver Draconis, which should be lauded, but the value of Cadaver Draconis to me is in the appendices.

Which you almost certainly would not have got without the rest of Cadaver Draconis and the Players Guide.

I wrote the first two appendices that appear in Cadaver Draconis specifically as part of writing for the Players Guide. They would not have been written without that. I think I probably would have put them online eventually without Cadaver Draconis but it wouldn't have happened as quickly.

The other three appendices were put together by Rhain Bedwyr, after I approached him to do the layout work for Cadaver Draconis. They would not have happened without that.

I'm just making the point that official and 'semi-official' material can actually drive the production of other material.

I also would not be surprised if a future 'path-like' idea may well wind up in a future official 'DW 2.0', and so to some extent, the paths may eventually drive something like that.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:11 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Priest
Hello

Just to say that Dreadnought is right. It has encouraged new material from myself. So I wrote it down and put it into something that I am calling Dragon Warriors Companion.

Not very original title, I know but hopefully the content is good.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody would like to see the first two chapters.

Chapter 1: Social Challenge Rolls

Begins "SOCIAL INTERACTION is one area that is particularly challenging to represent in the rules. A balance must be reached between simulating the powers of persuasion or leadership that a character may have without removing the need for the player to play his or her role. With the addition of the Knave and the Priest professions, the need for more guidelines for social challenges has been highlighted in much the same way as the issues of Stealth and Perception were brought into the game with the advent of the Assassin.
Presented here is a system whereby the GM can resolve social challenges which requires the players to choose what they say carefully but without the need for frequent skill rolls. The most important characteristic is in these rules is the characteristic Looks but the character’s background is also a factor."

Chapter 2 is a revision of the Knave which I am very keen on.

So how do I do this?

It's a PDF (7 pages so far- DW format)

Dop Box? PM?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:08 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

mikey mikey wrote:
Anyway, I was wondering if anybody would like to see the first two chapters.

Yes, please :)

mikey mikey wrote:
So how do I do this?

You can upload it to the Files and Sundries area of this forum, host it on a web storage site like DropBox or Google Drive and post the link here, or beseech one of the good folk on this site with a website to give it a loving home. I guess a fourth option is that you could start your own DW website, which would be fantastic!

If you need a hand with any editing and proofing, too, I'm sure there'll be plenty of volunteers.

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:28 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

I'd love to see it!

On a related note, does anybody think it would be a good idea to create a new forum for fan content (I'd love a better name than that by the way). Just a spur of the moment thought, but my idea is that if any of us are writing or are planning to write something for the game we can present the works in progress there. Finished works would be hosted elsewhere or uploaded to the Files section.

Not only would this make it easy for us to see at a glance all the new unofficial content that is being created and the kind of ideas that are circulating, but would also enable authors to seek input or assistance from other members of the forum in a structured way. Artwork, software tools etc could go there in the same way as written stuff.

This might be a daft idea, making what should be fun into a big deal and putting pressure on people wanting to just write at their own pace, but I'm putting the idea out there anyway.

Reactions?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:55 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Fine. Would be good if you and I worked on the archer profession, and we can see how it evolves. Guess we could already do this on general discussion.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:06 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
On a related note, does anybody think it would be a good idea to create a new forum for fan content (I'd love a better name than that by the way). Just a spur of the moment thought, but my idea is that if any of us are writing or are planning to write something for the game we can present the works in progress there. Finished works would be hosted elsewhere or uploaded to the Files section.

What a thoroughly delightful idea. I've created a Fan Projects forum in which folks can advertise their projects/project ideas, advertise for collaborators and share progress.

I'll kick off the forum with some of my current in-flight projects for comment and criticism :?.

Enjoy!

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:00 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
I've created a Fan Projects forum in which folks can advertise their projects/project ideas, advertise for collaborators and share progress.

That's brilliant!

Kharille wrote:
Fine. Would be good if you and I worked on the archer profession, and we can see how it evolves

Good idea Kharille. I'll put together a draft of archer rules as I see them and send them to you to look at. Once they pass muster with you we can put them up on the new forum for everybody to pick apart.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:03 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Heh, make it public if anything. I'm inclined to tweak the archery rules. Not to rewrite them but maybe add some other minor factors like firing from a moving platform which will simply be a second 'moving target' rule as well as some minor, GM discretion factor for meteorological effects.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Priest
Thanks for the welcome and suggestions everyone! I uploaded it to the Files and Sundries. I hadn't noticed the Fan Projects section (sorry).

I LOVE the idea of collaborating on a project.