Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Hello everybody, I have just restarted to read the forum.

I have just bought 4 books (115€) from Serpent king games through drivethrurpg webstore and I am a bit afraid.
My english is rather low now, and I am disappointed that the books are published only in the single english language.
I spoke with a man who is interested in finding a deal for publishing in french, but he told me Serpent king games did not want to publish in french.

He told me that Serpent king games has the rights of publishing and selling till november 2016.
A first french translation attempt aborted because the concerned association did not pay in time the rights of publishing and selling.

My question is : does anyone know if serpent king games or the authors (dave morris,oliver johnson etc) would allow foreign translations soon? I am pretty sure that a translated pdf or book would not be a matter for having a cheap price and would support the game.

Have a good day

ps : the original books were translated

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:52 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
I think L’elf Vert were supposed to release DW in french but things went awry.....not sure I should say anymore....:/

I'm currently translating Dragon Warriors to Bahasa Indonesia. :)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:13 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Hello Damian,
you are right the aborted attemp was l'elfe vert.

I hope serpent king games and the the authors will really consider other languages. If someone has news from them, please let me know :roll:

Have a good day

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
hermes421 wrote:
Hello Damian,
you are right the aborted attemp was l'elfe vert.

I hope serpent king games and the the authors will really consider other languages. If someone has news from them, please let me know :roll:

Have a good day

I will forward your question to Ian. :)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:38 pm 
Serpent King Games Representative

Profession: Barbarian
Ah, your original contact is incorrect -- we (Serpent King Games) would be very happy to allow a French translation, or translations into other languages. As yet we've not had any convincing offers, though.

It's a fairly big job, which is the biggest issue. We don't really have the funds to pay for a French translation ourselves, and suspect that the size of the DW market won't provide those funds any time soon. So, this would need either a French publisher willing to take on the work of printing and promoting the French edition, and paying us a fee for the material (much of which fee we would be passing on to Fabled Lands) as well as licensing the art separately (or commissioning new art), OR a French translator who was willing to do the work purely on a royalties basis (in which case we would happily publish it ourselves).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:08 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Hello, I read your post. Can I suggest something?

Here is a link in french about Fabled lands RPG (From Dave Morris and J.THOMSON) : https://fr.ulule.com/sokara/

It's kind of a "kickstarter" about Sokara, an extension (174 sheets) for the RPG (I think it is a soft cover book ). They needed 1500€ for a french version and offer different things according the support provided :
5€: your name is in the thanks of the book - 35€ : you have the book offered with shipping plus A plastified (or stiff?) A4 map of Sokara Kingdom - and so on, (70 € etc....).
And they succeeded.

I hope you will find a solution soon for foreign languages, it would support the game (and bring new incomes).
By the way, I think there are enough official scenarii (if we consider the "experience" system of the game) and tha a cartographer working on full detailed kingdom map (main cities, villages, forests...) would be great. In 30 years, no kingdom map was totally complete....

Have a good day

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:04 pm 

Profession: Barbarian
Yeah, this would be tricky for us to do as we would struggle to run or market a Kickstarter type campaign in French. I do speak a bit of French but it's very rusty, and definitely not up to this kind of task, unfortunately. We would be open to offers from a French publishing or translation partner, though, to info@serpentking.com