Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
That's great Starkad! Is it OK if I put the various Grapple outcomes into a table and upload it to Files & Sundries, but credit you? You said at some point you don't have much free time :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
That's great Starkad! Is it OK if I put the various Grapple outcomes into a table and upload it to Files & Sundries, but credit you? You said at some point you don't have much free time

If you think it would be useful, feel free.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:10 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
I had some similar unarmed house rules, though not as detailed as those.

Advanced Unarmed Attacks
These advanced attacks are only possible if your basic attack, your strength or your maximum health is greater than the opponent’s maximum health (to prevent a character 'throwing' or grappling a large beast such as a dragon).

Knocking Opponents Over
To knock or throw an opponent to the ground, state this as the intention, and make two successful unarmed combat attacks. If both are successful, calculate damage from the second attack only, and knock your opponent over (they are prone).

An opponent is at half attack and defence while prone (1 round to get up).

Pushing Opponents Back
To push an opponent back, state this as the intention, and make two successful unarmed combat attacks. If both are successful, you may push your opponent back up to half your movement rate. You do not calculate damage from either attack.

Grappling Opponents
The same rules apply if you wish to grapple an opponent - two successful unarmed combat attacks, neither inflicting damage. A successful grapple will hold the opponent fast. The opponent must succeed in an unarmed attack using attack or strength vs. your defence or strength (whichever is higher) to break free. Once grappled an opponent’s defence is reduced to 0 for the purposes of further strikes.

Once an opponent is grappled, up to 3 others may assist in subduing the target, penalising the opponent's 'break free' roll by 1 for each helper.

A grappled opponent may only try to break free or perform a non-physical action during their turn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Starkad wrote:
Quote:
That's great Starkad! Is it OK if I put the various Grapple outcomes into a table and upload it to Files & Sundries, but credit you? You said at some point you don't have much free time

If you think it would be useful, feel free.

It'd be useful for me, as having it in one place so I don't have to search the forum every time I need to refer to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:

You say they're not as detailed, but they cover stuff I'd not thought about. :)

I suppose my rules give a "generic" idea of what's happening. "Winning" a grapple round could lead to pushing back, knocking over, etc...
(There's just so much that can happen in unarmed combat!)

Quote:
It'd be useful for me, as having it in one place so I don't have to search the forum every time I need to refer to it.

Well... It's perfectly fine by me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Starkad wrote:
Quote:

You say they're not as detailed, but they cover stuff I'd not thought about. :)

I suppose my rules give a "generic" idea of what's happening. "Winning" a grapple round could lead to pushing back, knocking over, etc...
(There's just so much that can happen in unarmed combat!)

Quote:

Well... It's perfectly fine by me.

I think that that's the beauty of it, as the roll can be interpreted as almost anything, and (speaking as a rather narrativist player), I like the way that a few rolls can turn into 30 seconds of story, and the rolls support the narrative of the fight, rather than the other way round.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6