Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:03 pm 
9th Rank
9th Rank

Profession: Knight
Apart from the Ghosts of the Magi (Red Death, Blue Moon, Plague Star, Gift Star and White Light), what other information do we have about the astrological and the astronomical in Legend? What do you see when you look up at the night sky?

All this is brought on by a recent Discord post...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
SimonB wrote:
Apart from the Ghosts of the Magi (Red Death, Blue Moon, Plague Star, Gift Star and White Light), what other information do we have about the astrological and the astronomical in Legend? What do you see when you look up at the night sky?

I'm not aware of anything in canon sources, but I use a Sol-like system - Legend has a single sun, a single moon, and a number of planets that roam through the constellations, which themselves remain broadly static. The Ghosts of the Magi I always assumed clustered together so were never that interesting as an astronomical (or astrological) phenomenon - no more so than the planets. Outside of Krarth/Mercania, the Ghosts are just a novelty.

I have an astronomy skill in my game that, if someone gets good enough at it, can use it for astrology to make broad predictions about the future (worth an occasional bonus here and there if the players can narrate something appropriate to the scene). Mystics have a slightly more refined gift of Prophecy as one of their abilities, too, but that isn't (necessarily) dependent on the stars (although could be, if the player wishes it to be - it can actually manifest from any divinatory medium, like runes, chicken bones, etc.).

I'd be interested to know whether people use specifics about the stars much in their games (other than just for making navigation checks) because other than making up some stuff for my Seers of Wyrd app in the Forest (which is entirely whimsical), I've not bothered much with them. But I'd like to - some of my new sorcery spells have names based on the phase of the moon because I wanted to associate sorcery with the moon (and, more broadly, the Void beyond Legend) and I track the phases of the moon in my online gaming portal for my players, but that's more in case any of them end up as (or encounter) werewolves (sshhh... don't tell them I said that). If anyone has done anything with astronomy/astrology, I'd certainly be interested.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do use astronomy and astrology in my games from time to time, if a player who is interested in that. But I've kept it fairly simple - I just assume that (with a couple of exceptions like the Magi), Legend is in an extremely similar astronomical environment to Earth - the same visible planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn (Uranus might technically be visible), the same moon (Boldur) with the same phases. The same constellations.

I also did that 100 page document outlining moonset and moonrise and sunset and sunrise for over a decade so I could get elementalists right :) There would be advantages to a simpler model.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:56 pm 
9th Rank
9th Rank

Dreadnought wrote:
.... I've kept it fairly simple - I just assume that (with a couple of exceptions like the Magi), Legend is in an extremely similar astronomical environment to Earth - the same visible planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn (Uranus might technically be visible), the same moon (Boldur) with the same phases. The same constellations..

That does make life a lot easier than having to reinvent the skyline...