Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Marn wrote:
Hail and well met.

I am sure you have been asked a thousand times previously but I dare to ask again. How are you producing those maps? What arcane magister did you lock up in a tower somewhere and induce to compile said maps?

I would love to know how to do such feats if one was willing to share such forbidden knowledge!

Welcome to the forum!

I use Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3 coupled with the add-on City Designer 3. In actual fact I have most of the CC3 products including additional symbol sets, so I don't just use these but that's 99% of it when it comes to my city maps.

It's a set of software packages specifically designed for drawing maps for RPGs. Campaign Cartographer is at the core and works best for overland maps, but there are add ons specifically for dungeons (and other floorplans) and for cities. It has a fairly steep learning curve because it works on a different paradigm than the graphics programs most people are familiar with, but if you take the time to learn how to use it, you can produce very nice maps. I'm reasonably good with it - but there are people who are much, much better.

I also make use of an older version of Paint Shop Pro (V5) and of GIMP to make certain additions to the maps, but these are minor for the most part (basically the creation of textures for grass, water, and occasional additional symbols - CC3 sometimes doesn't have what I need for some less common objects, or they can only be used under certain circumstances and I want to do something a little different). And there are places online where people also share additional image for symbols (for the Brymstone map, for example, I've used an additional symbol for the Windmill and Watermill, and also to add a few ships to the port.)

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:39 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Knave
Thank you for the reply and the information. Which as usual leads to more questions but it might be worth it in the end.

Are these programs purchasable as I doubt they are free downloads. The reason I ask is I would love to try my hand at even some basic maps of the uncharted areas or less touched upon areas of Albion and the mainland. I have no artistic ability or talent but I can press keys on a keyboard with some modicum of success.... just gotta keep rolling those 2d10, right?

Sorry to keep asking but I hope you can find the patience to help this humble beggar in his quest for knowledge.

Kindest regards

Marn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Marn wrote:
Thank you for the reply and the information. Which as usual leads to more questions but it might be worth it in the end.

Are these programs purchasable as I doubt they are free downloads. The reason I ask is I would love to try my hand at even some basic maps of the uncharted areas or less touched upon areas of Albion and the mainland. I have no artistic ability or talent but I can press keys on a keyboard with some modicum of success.... just gotta keep rolling those 2d10, right?

Sorry to keep asking but I hope you can find the patience to help this humble beggar in his quest for knowledge.

Kindest regards

Marn.

They can be purchased from: http://www.profantasy.com/

They are not cheap but they are not incredibly expensive either. There is a reasonably steep learning curve but if you read the manual and follow it, you can pick it up pretty quickly - most people who complain in my experience give up on it simply because it doesn't work the same way they are used to and they don't follow the instructions. And they will give you a refund if you decide you don't like the software within 14 days of purchase.

With what you are describing wanting to do, you'd only need Campaign Cartographer 3 to get started - that really is the core for overland maps. The other programs add on to it.

And feel free to ask for advice here - I'm not the only CC3 mapper on here, and I'm sure most of us would love to see more maps.

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/maps.html- are a couple more of my maps.

http://cobwebbedforest.co.uk/library/maps.php - Cobwebbed Dragon has also used CC3 for some very nice maps.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:37 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
If you're utterly impecunious but extremely clever and industrious you can make maps with Inkscape. Its free and can do all the vector stuff you need in a cartographic program, but it doesn't have any of the resources that come bundled with CC so you're letting yourself in for a lot of scratch work. I've done a few maps this way. They were serviceable but nothing like as good as what Shaun has created using CC; I lack the clever and industrious parts of the equation needed to make them look super.

If you're a crazy data nut you could always use a geographic information system like QGIS, but that is going in a different direction altogether. I've meant to build a QGIS dataset for Legend for some time but that is a super-steep learning curve...

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Knave
Thanks chaps.

This gives me a starting point and no doubt I shall be asking more questions at some point.

Kindest regards

Marn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6