It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
Feedback and builds welcome!

Interesting system (and seems easy to use). Just a few thoughts, though...

It would be interesting to see what attribute you would tie the skills to. Athletic skills might probably be mostly linked to Reflexes with a couple (e.g. Climb, Swim) linked to Strength. Lore skills would be linked to Intelligence, while interaction skills would be down to Looks (or Presence, if you’re using that).

But what about the survival skills? What would you use for Fishing? Hunting? Foraging? &c.

While I’m on the subject, what would you have for First Aid? I’ve linked mine to Intelligence, but what do you think?

What about Gaming (Gambling)? Some (e.g. dice) require Reflexes, while others (e.g. chess) would require Intelligence...

Have you found any skills that could be linked to Psychic Talent?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Starkad wrote:
It would be interesting to see what attribute you would tie the skills to. Athletic skills might probably be mostly linked to Reflexes with a couple (e.g. Climb, Swim) linked to Strength. Lore skills would be linked to Intelligence, while interaction skills would be down to Looks (or Presence, if you’re using that).

It depends on the circumstances as skills are not necessarily linked to a specific ability score - think of it more as an ability score modified by an appropriate skill. For example, in my horsemanship rules, horsemanship checks may be based on either Strength or Reflexes, depending on the horse-related action being undertaken. In both cases, ranks in the horsemanship skill would add to the d6 roll.

Starkad wrote:
But what about the survival skills? What would you use for Fishing? Hunting? Foraging? &c.

The same is true for survival skills - for example, to resist penalties for adventuring in extremes of heat or cold, is a Strength-based survival check, but to find food might be an Intelligence-based check (for simple trapping) or Reflexes-based (for stalking/hunting). Depending on the narrative, there might be Stealth checks required and possibly even a combat. I'm not a fan of "roll a die and either succeed or fail" - I'd rather someone checked their skill and the narrative unfolded based on the response - someone that rolls poorly might have a harder time finding food but it should still not be impossible; maybe they find a beast that is harder to subdue, or the water they find is tainted in some way and they have to check for disease, etc.

Starkad wrote:
While I’m on the subject, what would you have for First Aid? I’ve linked mine to Intelligence, but what do you think?

Yes, Intelligence.

Starkad wrote:
What about Gaming (Gambling)? Some (e.g. dice) require Reflexes, while others (e.g. chess) would require Intelligence...

This is probably a topic for another thread because gambling isn't a simple roll-to-win kind of affair - games can be played over multiple rounds with larger or smaller elements of chance and opportunities to cheat, etc. I have an approach for this in my games that I should probably write up and start a new thread to discuss. It's only about a page long, but it would need a polish before anyone else could follow it.

Starkad wrote:

Yes, but they tend to be mystical or magical skills (crafting magical items, supplementing the Mystic's mental abilities, etc.) - the exception to this is a non-magicker-profession-specific Survival Sense skill, which behaves like a sixth sense for my Journeyman profession. If I ever get around to publishing my magic rules in the Forest, all the magical skills will be included in that - again, probably too much to go into in this thread.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:30 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Starkad wrote:

This is probably a topic for another thread because gambling isn't a simple roll-to-win kind of affair - games can be played over multiple rounds with larger or smaller elements of chance and opportunities to cheat, etc. I have an approach for this in my games that I should probably write up and start a new thread to discuss. It's only about a page long, but it would need a polish before anyone else could follow it.

Turns out I'd already summarised them in another thread on this Forum:

http://forum.libraryofhiabuor.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=297

They still very much need a polish, tho, but it gives you a clearer idea of my approach.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
It depends on the circumstances as skills are not necessarily linked to a specific ability score

Ah... I see what you're getting at, now. In short, the skill is a "stand alone" which then gets applied to whatever ability score is appropriate to the circumstances.
(So you could have Climb applied to Strength where it's just a matter of pulling yourself up, but it can be applied to Reflexes if the rocks are wet and slippery...)

Quote:
Starkad wrote:

Yes

I'm impressed. :D
Magical skills make sense... I don't have many of those in my games.

Quote:
Turns out I'd already summarised them in another thread on this Forum:

Good stuff. Thanks (again) for sharing. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:01 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

WodenKrait wrote:
You are a wondrous thread necromancer sir!

Slightly related:

In Tunnels and Trolls there's a spell called "Take that, you fiend!" in which the damage inflicted is equal to the caster's intelligence and has no effect on inanimate objects.

I know it's very D&D, I'm a fan of the 'Vicious Mockery' spell - a base damage + however much the GM decides is worthy of the best insults the player can muster.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:48 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
I know it's very D&D, I'm a fan of the 'Vicious Mockery' spell - a base damage + however much the GM decides is worthy of the best insults the player can muster.

Sounds like a spell you'd need for adventures set on Monkey Island... :geek: